Fiber in San Mateo

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 3 of 7
by molliestones » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 pm
Anyone in the 42nd Ave / Mollie Stones area have any updates with their preorders?
by kluikens » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:16 am
I saw a crew possibly rolling fiber northward on Maple Ave. from Madison Ave. in the Baywood-Aragon neighborhood yesterday evening. The trucks weren't branded but the parking permit signs have listed Sonic.

Could anyone comment on whether the construction phase has to be 100% completed before customers can be connected? Or do pre-orders start to be fulfilled as incremental progress is made?
by bjeung » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:25 pm
So why is it that someone who has 2 preorders for 18 months is not getting construction updates, yet if I go to your website right now to do a pre-order it says this:
CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
Get monthly construction updates and progress emails regarding the status of the network build-out in your area.
If the city is slowing things down then let me know so I can go complain to them. If it's just not financially feasible to build out my area then let me know so I can go door to door and get my neighbors to sign up or otherwise reset my expectations. What I don't want and didn't expect from Sonic is to take my money and then go radio silent for 6 months. That only leaves me the option of cancelling my pre-orders.
by aurimas » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 pm
I've preordered Sonic Fiber back in March 2020 for 31st Ave, San Mateo and I have yet to receive a single construction update. Where are ya'll finding these updates and roll out percentages?
by yeechang_lee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:50 pm
I see that Fusion IPBB-C is available to me (wasn't available a few weeks ago). Only 20Mbps (Is that bidirectional?), though, a downgrade to my current X2 service. Surely this isn't the most that I can expect from fiber here? When I put in my address into the new customer availability form at sonic.com I am promised that "1,000Mbps at $39.99/mo" is coming soon.
by kipmanage » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:43 am
We've pre-ordered since end of June 2020 and have also yet to receive any status emails or monthly updates as stated would happen during the pre order process. This is for 43rd Ave San Mateo. Would appreciate an update so our family can decide based on the timeline. Thank you.
by bjeung » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:28 am
So there is a bit of a disconnect between what the web page says and reality. It seems depending on your area if you are between phases you won't get monthly status updates. I'm in San Mateo as well and in the same area ~26th and El Camino and this was the last status update from March:
Sonic's team is reviewing all the necessary requirements needed to begin engineering in your neighborhood. After this, our teams map out the exact placement of fiber in your neighborhood. This is an exciting (but often lengthy) phase. Because of this, we will cut back on communications and will reach out when we move into the next stage of your fiber build. We appreciate your patience.
Please tell your friends, family, and neighbors to sign up too!
Thank you for your support. If you have any questions, please call 1-707-757-7368.
Apparently this means zero communication until the construction phase starts. It's far from ideal and I would like something (email, status page, etc) with a rough ETA or even just a 'Yes we're still working on things' would be great. I actually called in last week and talked to a Keilani in CS about cancelling my pre-orders for both my home and office pre-orders. She was very nice and when I gave her the reasoning (zero communication) she said first tried to reach another department to see if there was an update to be had and then she said she would bring it up in one of their weekly meetings. I ended up not cancelling that day. She said that engineering can take 9-12 months and so the latest to expect an update would be around February/March next year. I do see them making progress in other areas of San Mateo, including my parents house and I have an install scheduled there for 10/29. So basically if you have the patience you can wait but don't expect any updates until construction starts(despite what the website says). Otherwise go with another option. I do know that Wave (my current provider at home and work) is working on their own fiber network as well so it will get here at some point from someone, the wait just sucks.
by elbertoh » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:01 pm
larns576 wrote:
If people are already activated, I assume that means the backbone and some street fiber have already been laid and they're already stringing it to people's homes: 24% up and running.

With 24% already activated, I would think yours would be ready well before mid 2021. My guess would be sometime this year.
Correctomundo! Scheduled my installation appointment for 11/5!
by dane » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm
elbertoh wrote:
larns576 wrote:
If people are already activated, I assume that means the backbone and some street fiber have already been laid and they're already stringing it to people's homes: 24% up and running.

With 24% already activated, I would think yours would be ready well before mid 2021. My guess would be sometime this year.
Correctomundo! Scheduled my installation appointment for 11/5!
Bravo!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bjeung » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 am
The good news:

So 16 months after the last update from Sonic (and 28 months after my pre-order) it appears my area is finally moving into engineering phase

The bad news:

This phase of the fiber build also takes some time, so you may not see communications on a monthly basis until we have a notable update or your address is moved into the construction phase.

Given that this wording is similar to the last update I received I could be waiting significantly longer since it took 16 months for Sonic to review the necessary requirements to begin engineering I'm not holding my breath. That being said, do see Sonic fiber on one of the fiber maps I have access to and it's not too far away so there may be hope yet!
66 posts Page 3 of 7