Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 4 of 24
by dane » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 am
george.belle wrote:Just checking in to see how the VDSL2 migration is progressing! Any updates?
Yes, it's going well. We've got it live in three COs today, and more and more customers coming online. I've seen some great speeds.

Here's an example of a customer with single-line service in SF: http://i.imgur.com/5xjKgTc.jpg

We're working with the equipment vendor on a few items, and plan to roll the VDSL2 capability out more broadly as those wrap up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Jon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 am
It's great to see this progressing as I know a lot of people in SF will benefit, especially in the denser neighborhoods. I am curious if bonding will be available around the same time as single line service?
by george.belle » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:42 am
That's great to hear you're making progress, and the increase in speeds is really exciting. Thanks for the update!
by allenwoo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:24 pm
Hello,

I live way out on 41st Ave and I believe I am about 11,000 ft from CO. Sound like I will not benefit from VDSL2. I am using bonded line now and not even getting 10MB. Any luck with better speed? I cannot wait for fiber but look like it will take another decade to reach me at the min.

Thanks,
Allen
by markpenny20 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 pm
Brand new customer - signed up last night.

Will you be rolling VDSL2 out to brand new service areas as they come on? Should I get a Pace 5168N to avoid needing to change out later?
by Joel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 pm
This is exciting. I'm just under 3000 feet from my CO in the Mission, so this sounds like just what I need. I'll be happy to wait years for fiber if I can get double the speed I'm getting now. I use my own ADSL modem right now, so I'll need to upgrade once my line is ready. Will I receive some notice ahead of time so I can have the equipment ready on day one?

Thanks for sharing all this information, Dane. This is one of the best parts of being with Sonic.
by Mike » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:35 pm
7300 feet from a CO in SF... so probably won't see any benefit from this. My line drops down to 5Mbps quite regularly, sometimes it's as fast as 6Mbps. The temptation to make a deal with the devil and get a 25 or 50Mbps line is quite strong at this point, however I am still strong of will but I don't know how much longer I can last. Please Dane help me!! :)
by darkzone » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:11 pm
Dane, any updates for those of us here in the L.A. area?
by mruhstaller » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm
I think a landing page that keeps us all up to date on what has been done, and what is in the works would go a long way, but maybe thats just the Program Manager in me. :)
by aznalan15 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:22 pm
mruhstaller wrote:I think a landing page that keeps us all up to date on what has been done, and what is in the works would go a long way, but maybe thats just the Program Manager in me. :)
I wish we did get updates. Everyday is a battle between my mind and my heart, should i go with the 50/10 evil company of comcast or should I stick w the 9/1 that I am getting with good ole sonic...
234 posts Page 4 of 24