Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 16 of 24
by Guest » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:12 pm
If we choose to upgrade to X2 now, and it turns out later down the road we're eligible for VDSL2, will we be able to do the switch easily or will be it some sort of a hassle? I certainly wouldn't mind the X2 option for the time being as I think $20 is pretty reasonable, though I would obviously prefer the VDSL2 option.
by dane » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:19 pm
Guest wrote:If we choose to upgrade to X2 now, and it turns out later down the road we're eligible for VDSL2, will we be able to do the switch easily or will be it some sort of a hassle? I certainly wouldn't mind the X2 option for the time being as I think $20 is pretty reasonable, though I would obviously prefer the VDSL2 option.
If you are close enough for VDSL2 to deliver gains, we will not offer an X2 upgrade today, as it would result in high costs to later switch both lines, and then potentially dropping one because VDSL2 is enough.

If you are close, the steps are first a VDSL2 interface and equipment upgrade, THEN if you still want more speed after seeing what that delivers, an X2 upgrade too.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by parker_day » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:42 am
dane wrote: If you are close, the steps are first a VDSL2 interface and equipment upgrade, THEN if you still want more speed after seeing what that delivers, an X2 upgrade too.
Thanks for sharing a bit about what the upgrade process will look like. How would it look for current small business bonded Fusion customers? Especially those that already have the Pace 5168N.
by dane » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:49 am
parker_day wrote:
dane wrote: If you are close, the steps are first a VDSL2 interface and equipment upgrade, THEN if you still want more speed after seeing what that delivers, an X2 upgrade too.
Thanks for sharing a bit about what the upgrade process will look like. How would it look for current small business bonded Fusion customers? Especially those that already have the Pace 5168N.
We'd just move both lines. But we don't want to create a situation where an existing single-line customer adds a second line which then must be moved. That's costly, and extra work that would be best to avoid.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:03 pm
dane wrote: If you are close enough for VDSL2 to deliver gains, we will not offer an X2 upgrade today.
Understood... thanks for the replies as always!

Sounds like I just need to be patient and wait for you guys to come of with some real-world conclusions after rolling out VDSL2 to some other folks since I'm just a bit above the 4,000 ft. cutoff point. Fingers crossed!
by allenk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:29 am
I'm assuming it's the same as Legacy DSL, but will VDSL2 or whatever is coming to my area require that same purchase of having to pay ATT for a landline? Or will this be something run through Sonic? I'm just getting tired of paying ATT $60+/month for a landline. For some reason, I'd rather...not, or pay sonic that money instead. Anything to get rid of directly paying ATT.
by dane » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:52 am
allenk wrote:I'm assuming it's the same as Legacy DSL, but will VDSL2 or whatever is coming to my area require that same purchase of having to pay ATT for a landline? Or will this be something run through Sonic? I'm just getting tired of paying ATT $60+/month for a landline. For some reason, I'd rather...not, or pay sonic that money instead. Anything to get rid of directly paying ATT.
The new Fusion FTTN service is Internet access plus voice phone service for $40 monthly. So no payment to AT&T!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by allenk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 am
Per my location from the other day, is Fusion the type of service that will be offered? Fiber?
by thulsa_doom » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:50 am
allenk wrote:Per my location from the other day, is Fusion the type of service that will be offered? Fiber?
In your area it's probably going to be the fiber-to-the-node service, which for your specific location is going to be similar speeds.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by allenk » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:57 am
Is there a rough ETA? And I know it's somewhere in these threads, but for what I'm looking at, what equipment do I need to purchase/rent/how much? Anything I can prep for?
234 posts Page 16 of 24