Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 5 of 24
by dane » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:01 pm
Stick with us - we are working hard and fast to deliver faster services!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Bud » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:37 pm
Thanks Dane, hope Sonic is upgrading in the Santa Clarita valley!
by virtualmike » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 pm
aznalan15 wrote:... should i go with the 50/10 evil company of comcast or should I stick w the 9/1 that I am getting with good ole sonic...
I travel several days a week, and one place where I frequently spend the night has Comcast. On a good day, the DL is well over 25 Mbps. Most evenings, it's less than 5 Mbps, and tonight, it's under 1. Don't drink the Koolaid.
by dane » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:33 pm
virtualmike wrote:
aznalan15 wrote:... should i go with the 50/10 evil company of comcast or should I stick w the 9/1 that I am getting with good ole sonic...
I travel several days a week, and one place where I frequently spend the night has Comcast. On a good day, the DL is well over 25 Mbps. Most evenings, it's less than 5 Mbps, and tonight, it's under 1. Don't drink the Koolaid.
This is a good point. Because Cable is a shared network, performance varies, a lot. Fusion is a dedicated connection, but performance is determined by distance. This means it is consistent, and doesn't vary based upon usage in the neighborhood.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jtteng8084 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:02 am
dane wrote:Stick with us - we are working hard and fast to deliver faster services!
Dane, what is the long term plan for those who are behind of RT?
by aznalan15 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:24 am
dane wrote:Stick with us - we are working hard and fast to deliver faster services!
I am sticking with you guys, I believe I have been around since 10-11. I just have friends in the area asking why I don't just switch. Again the battle between Good and Evil in my head.

I am unfortunately getting the splash of the koolaid since I live in the middle of two of my friends, each appx half a mile away, with comcast both reaching almost their max speeds 45-48mbps down / 4 mbps up.

I am aware of the supposedly slowdown of speeds on peak hours but I've asked my friends about it -

One says he's never had problems always consistent speeds, other says his speeds are usually consistent with some downtime, but I believe that has to do with his router.

Like the reason why I've started this thread. I do like sonic as a company but they are providing an inferior product currently.

If astound ever came to Millbrae I would jump on that train so fast...
by phr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:27 pm
Eagerly awaiting whatever speedup. In San Francisco, near downtown but around 7k feet from CO, originally got around 8 mbps download, now getting around 5. Not about to try comcast though.
by aznalan15 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:28 am
Through some miraculous voodoo some how the upload speed jumped up 30% from ~1mbs to 1.3mbs...

Puzzled both myself and the tech I was on the phone with.

I am satiated for now...
by poningru » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:13 pm
Anyone know if vdsl2 will be available in Berkeley?
by dane » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:29 pm
poningru wrote:Anyone know if vdsl2 will be available in Berkeley?
Over the next six months or so, VDSL2 will be deployed into all 125 of the cities where Fusion is available. Our Fusion network continues to evolve, both with fiber expansion and with upgrades to copper services meanwhile.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
234 posts Page 5 of 24