Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 3 of 24
by dane » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:33 pm
Thanks for the boating analogy.

VDSL2 provides gains only within 5,000ft - beyond that distance, gains in throughput are nominal. So, it will positively affect many of our customers, but isn't a fix for everyone. Fiber is the eventual outcome, and you'll see more from us on our plans in that arena shortly.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cdrayson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 pm
Is there an upgrade schedule you can share? I am assuming we'll have to buy new equipment (which is definitely worth it).
by dane » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:29 pm
cdrayson wrote:Is there an upgrade schedule you can share? I am assuming we'll have to buy new equipment (which is definitely worth it).
No, not at this time, it's early stage.

I can say that VDSL2 capacity will appear in San Francisco first. We will onboard new customers only initially, then offer migrations to existing customers once we've got a process worked out for smooth migrations. An equipment swap will be required; the Pace 4111N would be replaced with a Pace 5168N.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by JoshuaTree » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 pm
I'm in San Francisco (SOMA) - so when I sign up, how will I be able to select VDSL? I'm a not a customer and 822ft from the CO according to the prequal tool. Would it be possible to get notified when it's available so that I don't have to keep checking?

Also, will there be a pathway to bonding or will I have to sign up again in the future if I decide I want a bonded line?
by dane » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:01 pm
JoshuaTree wrote:I'm in San Francisco (SOMA) - so when I sign up, how will I be able to select VDSL? I'm a not a customer and 822ft from the CO according to the prequal tool. Would it be possible to get notified when it's available so that I don't have to keep checking?

Also, will there be a pathway to bonding or will I have to sign up again in the future if I decide I want a bonded line?
I'll post in this thread when we start provisioning in SF with VDSL2. There won't be any indication during signup, it's the same product and price - just different gear.

There isn't an ability to change between single line and bonded services today. Basically one just orders the new product and then disconnects the old.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:44 pm
Are you offering bonding for residential again?

I am pretty sure when I signed up, it was no longer available, though was a driving factor in my researching you in the first place.
by dane » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:53 pm
Guest wrote:Are you offering bonding for residential again?

I am pretty sure when I signed up, it was no longer available, though was a driving factor in my researching you in the first place.
We don't differentiate locations - residential customers can buy the two-line service, but it is rather expensive, so we market it as a business service.

FYI, the 50+Mbps VDSL2 speed test is NOT a bonded line, that's just single line. 8-)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by darkzone » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:05 pm
Will those of us currently on bonded get bonded VDSL2?

You have a beta tester in L.A. if needed 8-)
by dane » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:32 pm
darkzone wrote:Will those of us currently on bonded get bonded VDSL2?

You have a beta tester in L.A. if needed 8-)
We don't yet have a migration plan for existing customers, we are just working now to get the equipment into the first few COs, and we will test our processes with the new order workflow. For existing customers on short loops, we will have a process at a later date. There is likely to be a one-time charge to offset migration costs, but the monthly rate will remain the same.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by george.belle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Just checking in to see how the VDSL2 migration is progressing! Any updates?
234 posts Page 3 of 24