Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 11 of 24
by george.belle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 pm
m2m3 wrote:
george.belle wrote:What about those of us who already have bonded fusion but don't need the 2nd phone line? Can we drop back to the x2 service? I'm also only about 2200 ft from the CO, so VDSL2 ought to work well for me as well once it's available. What's the recommendation?
If you are only that far from the CO, then what is your speed with and without x2?
Here is typical for what I see for both configurations -

Annex A:
Line 1 is up and in sync at 1273kbps up and 22975kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 1273kbps up and 20477kbps down.

Annex M:
Line 1 is up and in sync at 2317kbps up and 19003kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 2320kbps up and 18163kbps down.

I exclusively use Annex M these days - having double the upstream bandwidth is great for things like Plex!
by m2m3 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 pm
george.belle wrote:
m2m3 wrote:
george.belle wrote:What about those of us who already have bonded fusion but don't need the 2nd phone line? Can we drop back to the x2 service? I'm also only about 2200 ft from the CO, so VDSL2 ought to work well for me as well once it's available. What's the recommendation?
If you are only that far from the CO, then what is your speed with and without x2?
Here is typical for what I see for both configurations -

Annex A:
Line 1 is up and in sync at 1273kbps up and 22975kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 1273kbps up and 20477kbps down.

Annex M:
Line 1 is up and in sync at 2317kbps up and 19003kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 2320kbps up and 18163kbps down.

I exclusively use Annex M these days - having double the upstream bandwidth is great for things like Plex!

So, you're getting around 40 Mb/s with Annex A and without VDSL2. I can only imagine that you will probably get anywhere from 35-45 Mb/s with VDSL2 only--perhaps, more depending upon your line conditions. You may do even better with VDSL2 and no bonding.
by dane » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm
We will facilitate this, but cannot yet. The team is working on the process workflow for this sort of downgrade now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Ben » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:54 pm
When will VDSL2 be available in Forestville? I have a friend who lives about 500' from the CO. (on Comcast currently)
by dane » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 pm
Ben wrote:When will VDSL2 be available in Forestville? I have a friend who lives about 500' from the CO. (on Comcast currently)
Forestville is equipped with VDSL2 today.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Ben » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:20 pm
dane wrote:Forestville is equipped with VDSL2 today.
Cool! I'll let him know. Apparently I put in the wrong address for him though...he's at more like 1000'.
by aw » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:05 pm
Dane, a minor question about the x2 service - In the past, you have stated that you needed to have a dial tone on the line in order to not have it poached by an ATT tech who doesn't know what they're doing - How do you get around that with the second line with no phone? Can that method be applied to the first line, so a person who has no need whatsoever for a landline could have true dry loop bonded Fusion?
by dane » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:05 pm
Alan,

Yes, without dialtone, the line is more likely to be poached. But that's not _supposed_ to happen. We will see, and adjust as we see what happens in the real world. On the positive side, if it happened, the connection would still be online, just at half speed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ben » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm
Ben wrote:
dane wrote:Forestville is equipped with VDSL2 today.
Cool! I'll let him know. Apparently I put in the wrong address for him though...he's at more like 1000'.
His connection went live on Monday. He's getting around 47 down and 25 up. Can't complain about that too much but we were expecting it to be more like 60+ down and 8 up. Is there a way to shift some of the upload bandwidth to download?
by dane » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:41 am
Nope, afraid not. If more downstream speed is needed, he could order an X2 (dual line, bonded) upgrade, which would yield nearly 100Mbps/50Mbps at this site. This adds $20/mo to the cost of the service, and can be ordered by contacting support.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
234 posts Page 11 of 24