Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 10 of 24
by robertchin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:00 am
dane wrote:Yes, an analog telephone adaptor will be provided.
I feel kind of dumb for asking this, but do analog telephone adapters work with rotary phones (mine currently works quite well with my sonic.net service)?
by smucky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am
How many (analog) phones will the VoIP adapter support? Will it be just like conventional POTS where you plug in a splitter and then connect two phones to that? (We only have two phones to deal with now, but in the past I've lived in a house with eleven(!) separate phones, some with the ringers disconnected because of the current draw. That was a bit of an edge case, though.)

Alternately, if people will need to upgrade their CPE anyway, why not offer the Pace 5168NV, which includes an interface for voice?

http://www.pace.com/americas/products/g ... sl/5168nv/
by Smucky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:23 am
robertchin wrote:...but do analog telephone adapters work with rotary phones (mine currently works quite well with my sonic.net service)?
There seem to be secondary adapters available, although this particular unit might not work with future Sonic service, as the description says it will not work with AT&T UVerse:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-to-t ... erter.html

As more people receive service through the UVerse RTs, there will probably be more experimentation and anecdotal reports of what works and what doesn't. Think of it as bleeding-edge solutions to trailing-edge problems.
by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:27 pm
The availability page says I'm about 4100 ft away from the CO. This is great news!

Will the availability of VDSL be announced to existing customers, or is it something we'll have to contact Sonic to switch to? Either way, I'll be the first to line up!
by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 pm
Guest wrote:The availability page says I'm about 4100 ft away from the CO. This is great news!

Will the availability of VDSL be announced to existing customers, or is it something we'll have to contact Sonic to switch to? Either way, I'll be the first to line up!
Dane says Sonic will contact us with the offer if we qualify. There will also be a small installation fee.
by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:16 pm
dane wrote:
parker_day wrote:In September it was mentioned that it would take about 6 months to deploy VDSL across the Fusion footprint. Is everything still on track for that timeline?
Yes.
One more month Dane?
by dane » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:28 pm
We don't have the process completely designed yet, and not all COs are equipped, so we still have some work to do.

We are however ready for X2 uogrades for those who do not qualify for VDSL2. X2 is a second line, which roughly doubles speed. Cost is an additional $20/mo, and the bonded equipment fee is $3 higher too. But no other taxes or fees, because there is no voice.

Upgrading to Fusion X2 is available now, contact support to request.

X2 is not yet advised for those who are 5,000ft or closer, because the VDSL2 upgrade would be a better path for them. So if you are closer than 5,000ft, please wait.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by george.belle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:53 pm
What about those of us who already have bonded fusion but don't need the 2nd phone line? Can we drop back to the x2 service? I'm also only about 2200 ft from the CO, so VDSL2 ought to work well for me as well once it's available. What's the recommendation?
by m2m3 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:07 pm
dane wrote:We don't have the process completely designed yet, and not all COs are equipped, so we still have some work to do.

We are however ready for X2 uogrades for those who do not qualify for VDSL2. X2 is a second line, which roughly doubles speed. Cost is an additional $20/mo, and the bonded equipment fee is $3 higher too. But no other taxes or fees, because there is no voice.

Upgrading to Fusion X2 is available now, contact support to request.

X2 is not yet advised for those who are 5,000ft or closer, because the VDSL2 upgrade would be a better path for them. So if you are closer than 5,000ft, please wait.
Thanks, Dane, for the update and answering the question about the final cost of the x2 bonding; so, as of now, the extra cost is only $23 and nothing more. That is very good and affordable for me if the VDSL2 upgrade is not sufficient for my needs. Right now, it appears that the worst case scenario for me is that if there is no improvement with VDSL, I can still theoretically double my speed to 32 Mb/s.

Isn't the bonding equipment a monthly charge? If it is, then can I buy my own bonding equipment and bypass the $3 charge?
by m2m3 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:14 pm
george.belle wrote:What about those of us who already have bonded fusion but don't need the 2nd phone line? Can we drop back to the x2 service? I'm also only about 2200 ft from the CO, so VDSL2 ought to work well for me as well once it's available. What's the recommendation?
If you are only that far from the CO, then what is your speed with and without x2?
234 posts Page 10 of 24