Will Sonic upgrade DSLAMs to VDSL2? (if not already done?)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
234 posts Page 13 of 24
by dane » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:34 am
For migrations of existing customers to VDSL2 interfaces, we have the advantage of being able to see the real-world performance of their current loop, so that'll be assessed rather than a specific distance guideline.

Regarding equipment rental, with Sonic's VDSL2 interfaces you could still supply your own equipment. We would send ours for initial migration, test and turn-up, then once you got your own gear working to your satisfaction you would return it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cdrayson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:35 am
dane wrote:
Guest wrote:Any estimate on when this VDSL2 upgrade will be available in San Francisco (and which neighborhoods?)?
For newly provisioned loops under 4,000ft, all SF regions are now VDSL2 enabled. For migrations of existing loops over to the new interfaces, we have some work to do on the process and workflow, then we will offer that to existing members.

Can't wait!
by aznalan15 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:37 pm
I am actually 7000 feet from the CO so they said it would not provide any benefits with a switch to VDSL2, so am I stuck with the older technology of ADSL2? Or are their slim chances where ATT will expand?
by dane » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 pm
aznalan15 wrote:I am actually 7000 feet from the CO so they said it would not provide any benefits with a switch to VDSL2, so am I stuck with the older technology of ADSL2? Or are their slim chances where ATT will expand?
Its too early to say, and difficult to be specific. Some sites will be offered migrations to VDSL2 on our network, and others will be offered migrations to VDSL2 on AT&T's network. Finally some won't be eligible for either, and will be offered a bonding, X2 upgrade.

We're working hard to extend the life of copper services for our customers, as we meanwhile also build as much fiber as we can as fast as we can!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aznalan15 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:23 pm
dane wrote:
aznalan15 wrote:I am actually 7000 feet from the CO so they said it would not provide any benefits with a switch to VDSL2, so am I stuck with the older technology of ADSL2? Or are their slim chances where ATT will expand?
Its too early to say, and difficult to be specific. Some sites will be offered migrations to VDSL2 on our network, and others will be offered migrations to VDSL2 on AT&T's network. Finally some won't be eligible for either, and will be offered a bonding, X2 upgrade.

We're working hard to extend the life of copper services for our customers, as we meanwhile also build as much fiber as we can as fast as we can!
Yep I just upgraded to the X2 hopefully that keeps the household happy.

In the case of any technological upgrades in speed, would I be notified for any eligible upgrades?
by dane » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:08 pm
Yep.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:51 pm
Today we provision VDSL2 out to 4,000ft.
In the past, the magic number seemed to be 5,000 ft, it was repeated quite often as recently as 2/7/2015 (3 weeks ago from this time of writing). See: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1444&start=90#p16435

Why the sudden change to 4,000 ft. now? Just curious. I'm definitely not complaining - I know there are a lot of variables involved with this sort of thing (though I will admit I'm a bit worried since the estimator says I'm about 4,100 ft).
by Guest » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:47 pm
Sorry for my ignorance...but what "estimator" is this? ...and how do we check it out?

Is there any ATT/Sonic list for updating, time frames, or in what order areas will be done?

Thanks
by dane » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:03 pm
We are provisioning VDSL2 out to 4,000ft today in order to gather real world stats on its performance improvement over ADAL2+. So far, it's not looking great for loops beyond that distance, but we don't have enough in service yet to really draw a final conclusion.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:17 pm
Guest wrote:Sorry for my ignorance...but what "estimator" is this? ...and how do we check it out?

Is there any ATT/Sonic list for updating, time frames, or in what order areas will be done?

Thanks

It's the standard "check availability" page on Sonic's site: https://www.sonic.com/availability. It'll give you an estimation of how far away you are from a CO.
234 posts Page 13 of 24