Fiber in Rockridge?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by signal » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 pm
This gets asked from time time but no activity in those thread for quite a while, so: any plans for fiber rollout in Rockridge? Are there regulatory/infrastructure issues, or has it just not come up yet in the schedule of deployment? Dane, I realize you're loath to set any timetables owing to unpredictable hang-ups, but can you at least let us know if Rockridge (I'm just below College near Shafter) is on your radar?
by patelco510 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:48 pm
Edit: moved my post to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14433
by dane » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 pm
signal wrote:This gets asked from time time but no activity in those thread for quite a while, so: any plans for fiber rollout in Rockridge? Are there regulatory/infrastructure issues, or has it just not come up yet in the schedule of deployment? Dane, I realize you're loath to set any timetables owing to unpredictable hang-ups, but can you at least let us know if Rockridge (I'm just below College near Shafter) is on your radar?
Well, broadly speaking there are plans for fiber rollout everywhere. That's the goal - and as long as we continue to see strong demand for service and people keep spreading the word, I believe we will achieve that. But it will take time.

Regarding that timing and the Rockridge region of Oakland, we are working that area today. I can't provide any guesses on when we'll complete it and being doing home installations, but I know the team is working hard at it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by astrorob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm
are areas of rockridge with underground service still off-limits to sonic? is it going to be up to ATT to dig if they themselves are able to?
by dane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:57 am
astrorob wrote:are areas of rockridge with underground service still off-limits to sonic? is it going to be up to ATT to dig if they themselves are able to?
They don't have to dig: they have a conduit to every home and business. This is part of their advantage as the legacy telephone monopoly. Anyone building a home or development was required to put in conduit for their use.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by signal » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 pm
Thanks, Dane. i know it's hard to be specific but I'm glad Rockridge is being worked on.
by astrorob » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 pm
dane wrote:
astrorob wrote:are areas of rockridge with underground service still off-limits to sonic? is it going to be up to ATT to dig if they themselves are able to?
They don't have to dig: they have a conduit to every home and business. This is part of their advantage as the legacy telephone monopoly. Anyone building a home or development was required to put in conduit for their use.

well, there must be some reason that ATT has seemingly studiously avoided all the parts of claremont pines with underground utilities... i assumed that there was significant capital cost to them since most of the surrounding neighborhoods have had fiber for > 1yr now.

the project that i had asked about going up broadway terrace could actually be FTTH activity - they seem to have veered onto a couple of residential streets with the trenching.

anyway i guess what i was asking about sonic is if you were still not allowed to microtrench in oakland.
by dane » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:45 pm
No, as far as I know, Oakland does have a narrow slot trenching standard in place today.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1