Net Neutrality?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by samueldtho » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:59 pm
In layman's terms please...
What's going on here?
https://www.fightforthefuture.org/

Net Neutrality Restrictions:?
What are all the (exact or specific) types of internet services being restricted with Comcast, AT&T and other ISP that Sonic does not restrict with net neutrality?

https://www.sonic.com/about-us/news/son ... y-defender

https://www.sonic.com/about-us/news/why ... neutrality
by ezekielk » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:48 pm
Until Jan. 6, Comcast's lowest fee for new customers only, is $30/month for the first year...for "up to" 75Mbps. Otherwise (according to their fee details):

--
Offer ends 01/06/20. Limited time offer. Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. New residential customers only. Limited to Performance Plus Internet. 1-year minimum term agreement required. Early termination fee applies if all Xfinity services are cancelled during the agreement term. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the term agreement. After term agreement, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular rates apply. Comcast's monthly service charge for Performance Plus Internet, ranges based on area, from $59.95 to $66.95 (subject to change). Service limited to a single outlet. May not be combined with other offers. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed.
--

And it looks like, after year one, the speed drops to "up to" 15Mbps. I don't know where you got that $10 from, 'cause I sure can't find it on their site.
by ezekielk » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:02 pm
Oh, here's their $10 "deal:"

https://www.pcworld.com/article/237477/ ... ilies.html

--quote:

The new service is part of Comcast’s bid to comply with regulators who required the company to help poor families connect to the Internet in exchange for approval of the acquisition of NBC Universal.

The low-cost connection will feature a paltry 1.5 Mbps download speed, and up to 384 Kbps upload, Comcast said, and the option will be available in the 39 states the cable provider currently serves. Comcast won’t charge for the activation costs or equipment rental fees either, and the company guaranteed no price increases on the $10 monthly fee.

Who is Eligible

Families have to meet four different criteria in order to benefit from Comcast’s Internet Essentials. One of the children has to be enrolled in the National School Lunch Program; families have to be in one of the 39 states Comcast serves; they can’t have had Internet service from the company 90 days prior to joining the program; and can’t have any overdue Comcast bills or unreturned equipment. Once enrolled, Comcast also offers vouchers towards a budget computer worth $150.

--end

Better than nothing I guess...but 1.5Mbps? Gimme a break! Also, it's for families only, in spite of the very real fact there are plenty of low income, single people out there on Medicaid and Social Security as their only health care and income...I'm thinking mainly here, of seniors and the disabled. Yet they're excluded! But can you imagine these families trying to share such a low bandwidth on multiple devices? They'll be fighting all the time, to use the Internet. FYI I'm on a low income myself, both as a senior and a disabled person...just got lucky with very low rent. Thank you, Rent Control!
by samueldtho » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:25 pm
Right... Comcast offers a $10 package.
Thanks for the input tho not exactly an answer to my questions about net neutrality.
by ezekielk » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:10 pm
But I did address Comcast's $10 issue...which is not all that good, for a number of reasons. And AT&T's $40/month does not include phone, which for Lifeline is $10/month, but only allows local calls. Standard phone service is a lot more. They also have lousy customer service. Besides, the lowest price I can find for AT&T Internet on their site is $50/month. They do have a similar deal like Comcast, for the low income, also $10/month...but I'm sure it's just as crappy.
5 posts Page 1 of 1