Reboot modem remotely

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by ben1963vw » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:05 pm
I had Fusion years ago before Fiber was just a dream from Sonic, wound up switching to Comcast cause I could get faster speeds for about the same cost and now that Fiber is reality in my neighborhood I couldn't drop Comcast fast enough!!!

I always setup port forwarding and a DDNS on my modem, that allows me access to devices connected to my LAN anywhere I have internet access. Sometimes there are connection issues and the router just needs a reboot to restore the internet access at home and therefore the access to my devices outside from home. This was happening more often with Comcast, but restarting the modem was easily done once logged into your account on their website you could see that status of your modem and had an option to restart the modem even if you weren't home (remotely).

I've had Fiber now for ~6 months and have only had to restart the modem once. Unfortunately it was just after I left home on a week long trip. It wasn't too urgent that I needed to call support and waited till I got home to restart the modem and all was well again. I did log into my Sonic account, but couldn't find anywhere that showed the status of the internet connection the modem had or to restart it.

If it is somewhere once logged into my account, where is it. If it's not, I'd like to request that be a feature added to the users account on your website and if I had called customer support would they have been able to restart it?
by dkirker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 am
I'd love to have the same feature. (Though in this case this is for an AT&T based FTTN line.)
by lasevich » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 pm
If your modem is down, it is unlikely that you or Sonic can reboot it remotely, as that requires connectivity to the device, which is down because your modem is down. But there is hope...

I recently put together a device from a power relay controlled by a small single board computer (s something similar to Raspberry Pi) that monitors my internet connection and if it is down for a while, automatically power-cycles the modem. (My Sonic Pace modem dies every week or two, requiring this). I only did this myself because I didn't realize that they actually sell devices like that so that you would not need to make your own.
3 posts Page 1 of 1