How to Connect to Sonic using a Netgear DM200 modem

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
22 posts Page 1 of 3
by bread » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 pm
The Netgear modem I had been using for years to connect to Sonic finally gave out. I am now renting a Pace modem from Sonic to remain online.

I am attempting to configure a new Netgear DM200 modem in order to connect to Sonic thereby bypassing the monthly rental fee for use of their modem.

Tech support will offer no assistance as per company policy. Tech representative said " it is up to the user to figure it out." I gather from that statement it is still possible to use your own modem, however the process for doing so is no longer shared with users as was the case in the past.

I guess the cash flow surrounding their modem rental business has trumped user choice and service.

Anyway, Is there someone out there who can walk me through the process of configuring my modem to allow access to Sonic?

Thanks,

Bruce
by joeyyung911 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 pm
bread wrote: I guess the cash flow surrounding their modem rental business has trumped user choice and service.
Instead of blaming others, provide more info. What have you done on your end?

- Are the cables correctly connected?

- Status lights?

- Were you able to go through the wizard? Do you even know how?

etc........
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm
Bruce,

We just cannot provide technical support for a retail product you purchased from another company. You would need to obtain support from the company you purchased that product from, Netgear in this case.

This fragmented finger-pointing experience is exactly what we are trying to avoid when we provide a packaged solution. Ideally, Sonic can be your sole source of help with your internet connection, from the DSL or fiber to the modem/router and the WiFi device you connect when you’re sitting on your couch. We even cover truck-rolls if a technician visit is needed, and inside wiring assistance and repair.

When you opt out of all that, it’s just not reasonable for us to provide support.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joeyyung911 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:01 pm
Remove all other network/devices out of the equation, except your modem and your computer. Internet access?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by bread » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:02 pm
First I disconnect my Sonic modem, which is connected via ethernet to my Apple Extreme router, and replace it with the DM200, I then connect the phone line wire to the DM200 and then connect the modem to the computer via ethernet. Nothing else in the signal path. When fired up, the power and DSL LEDs glow steady green. I then launch my browser and attempt to log onto the Netgear logon. I get timed out. I have also followed Netgear suggestions about emptying cache, etc. to no avail.
Bruce
by joeyyung911 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 pm
bread wrote:When fired up, the power and DSL LEDs glow steady green. I then launch my browser and attempt to log onto the Netgear logon. I get timed out.
But can you get on the Internet???

Unable to get to the config page doesn't necessarily mean you don't have Internet access....probably because the IP address of your computer isn't in the same network range as the modem (192.168.5.x). What's the IP address of the computer?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by bread » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:30 pm
The only IP address I can see is the one when I am connected via the Sonic modem. In that configuration my computer's IP is 192.168.42.64.

When I swap out the sonic modem for the Netgear and connect via the ethernet cable the IP is blank according to the TCP/IP drop down window.
Bruce
by js9erfan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 pm
bread wrote:The only IP address I can see is the one when I am connected via the Sonic modem. In that configuration my computer's IP is 192.168.42.64.

When I swap out the sonic modem for the Netgear and connect via the ethernet cable the IP is blank according to the TCP/IP drop down window.
Bruce
If your computer is connected via ethernet directly to the Netgear and the computer is not obtaining an IP then it sounds like the Netgear isn't providing DHCP, other settings on the modem are messed up or your computer's NIC is assigned a static IP under its tcp/ip properties that isn't being served by the Netgear.

Assuming the computer is set to automatically acquire an IP address, I would unplug the ethernet cable from the computer, do a hard reset on the modem and once the modem restarts and is back to the factory defaults, plug the computer back in and see if you obtain an IP address.

If you do then login to the Netgear, ensure you have a WAN IP with internet connectivity and then put it in bridge mode (assuming you want to continue using your Apple router). Once that's done connect the ethernet cable from the Netgear to the WAN port on the Apple router and you should be done.

If you still aren't getting an IP address then try a different ethernet cable. If you get an IP but can't login to the Netgear after the reset (page timeouts, etc.) then try a different web browser (assuming you can ping it).
by bread » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 pm
Did as you suggested with the reset, no luck. No IP appears. Swapped ethernet cables, no luck. Tried a different browser, again, no luck.

I surely appreciate the time you have spent with me on this matter. I do not know where to go next. It surely appears Sonic is blocking every attempt to connect with anything other than their rental modem.

Anything else you think I should try?

By the way do you use Sonic's modem in your setup?

Bruce
by joeyyung911 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:57 pm
"...change the IP address of the computer to a static IP address in the
192.168.5.2–192.168.5.254 range."
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
22 posts Page 1 of 3