How to Connect to Sonic using a Netgear DM200 modem

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
22 posts Page 2 of 3
by bread » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:02 pm
I am in way over my head now.
I tried changing the IP of the computer as you suggested, however there are 2 choices, manual and DHCP manual. I tried both, but nothing works. You have gone way, way beyond in helping me and I want to thank you for your efforts. I am too confused by all this to continue wasting your time. I am sure I am not following your instructions as I should. I am totally in overload mode.

I did see this post on the forum from a year ago dealing with the DM200. Take a look and see if it makes any sense and let me know.
Thanks again.
Bruce

Renting a Sonic gateway is not required, but replacement is strongly discouraged, with a notable scarcity of information on compatible equipment. Sonic benefits from the rental revenue, and the use of Sonic equipment does make support easier, but the equipment is not really standard. The overwhelming majority of ADSL deployments and retail ADSL equipment are ATM, and that used to be the case with Sonic, but since the partnership with AT&T in 2015, Sonic has been deploying PTM, which isn't supported by most retail ADSL modems.

What will work on Sonic Fusion x1 service in PTM mode, as a replacement for the Sonic/Pace 4111N Gateway, is the Netgear DM200 Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem. The trick is to (1) manually put the DM200 in VDSL mode rather than ADSL (ATM) mode, and (2) have Sonic Support put the line into VDSL/ADSL mode rather than ADSL mode. On such a switch recently, it was possible to increase sync by 40%, a huge improvement. The wireless router part of the replacement is an ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router, which has greatly improved speed and range over the 4111N.

Hope that helps,
John Navas [technical contact posting from client account]

p.s. Be sure to update both the DM200 and RT-AC68U to the latest firmware.
by amayfield » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Bruce it looks like you are using an Airport Extreme for WiFi connectivity so the easiest path forward for you would probably be to bridge the DM200. You can find a PDF of the user manual for your DM200 here - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... _UM_EN.pdf. In Chapter 5 on page 69 are instructions on how to bridge your device.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by bread » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:59 pm
Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I guess I am totally dense (advance age does has its downside), however I cannot get past the first step.

The manual says:
1. Launch a web browser from a computer that is connected to the network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.

My setup is as follows: phone line to Netgear DM200, ethernet to mac computer.

Step one says "launch a web browser from a computer that is connected to the network". I only have one computer. How do I launch a web browser if the Netgear modem will not connect to sonic? This simply does not make sense to me.

If, on the other hand, I keep my Sonic modem in the loop (which makes no sense), I cannot access the login page. I just get a Netgear page that tells me I need to contact my ISP. Either way, I cannot get past step one.

Bruce
by joeyyung911 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:38 pm
bread wrote:I am in way over my head now.
I tried changing the IP of the computer as you suggested, however there are 2 choices, manual and DHCP manual. I tried both, but nothing works. You have gone way, way beyond in helping me and I want to thank you for your efforts. I am too confused by all this to continue wasting your time. I am sure I am not following your instructions as I should. I am totally in overload mode.
When you selected Manual, did you input an IP address, ie...192.168.5.10?

Input these numbers: (Don't know how Macs display their IP addresses)
IP Address: 192.168.5.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (it may auto-populate)
Gateway: 192.168.5.1 (or leave it blank)

After this, you can also try accessing the modem by typing in the IP address of the modem instead of its hostname (192.168.5.1)
bread wrote: Step one says "launch a web browser from a computer that is connected to the network". I only have one computer. How do I launch a web browser if the Netgear modem will not connect to sonic? This simply does not make sense to me.
You don't need a connection to Sonic to get into your modem, just as you don't need PG&E to get into your fridge.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by bread » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:38 pm
Please bear with me. Here is your quote:

"You don't need a connection to Sonic to get into your modem, just as you don't need PG&E to get into your fridge."

Here is how I am connected.

Telephone line in to Sonic modem, ethernet from Sonic modem to Apple Extreme router. Computer connected wirelessly to network. I am online and all is working. The Netgear modem is not in the loop at all.

This cannot be correct.

Can you please outline which modem and which router, if any, are in the loop to properly access the Netgear modem?

Bruce
by joeyyung911 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:19 am
Your Netgear modem and your computer are the only devices in this troubleshooting process. We're trying to get to the modem with no "outside" influences.

- Phone line to modem --> modem to computer (using an ethernet cable)

- Manually input the IP address:
IP Address: 192.168.5.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (it may auto-populate)
Gateway: 192.168.5.1 (or leave it blank)

- Try accessing the modem by typing in http://www.routerlogin.com or http://192.168.5.1.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by js9erfan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:55 am
bread wrote:Anything else you think I should try?

By the way do you use Sonic's modem in your setup?

Bruce
No, I'm an FTTN customer so they gave me a Pace 5268 modem/router but I use it as a modem only.

If you're not sure how to manually change your computer's IP settings you can also try Netgear's Desktop Genie App for Mac (download here) which should be able to 'discover' and help configure the Netgear. According to Netgear's FAQ page it's compatible with your modem... Before you run the app though follow the advice above by making sure your computer is connected directly to the Netgear modem by ethernet cable without anything else connected in between (Sonic modem, Apple router, etc.).

And just out of curiosity, how did you go about doing a hard reset on the Netgear modem? If none of the suggestions work then it's possible something is wrong with the Netgear modem.
by bread » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:54 am
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I have reset using the reset button on the back of the modem.

As for the hookup sequence, it is: phone line in to modem, ethernet cable out of modem to computer. Nothing else hooked up. Apple Airport Extreme is disconnected and not operational.

Bruce
by js9erfan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:19 am
Final thoughts here assuming you've tried all of the previous suggestions but make sure WiFi is temporarily turned off on the Mac. While connected to the Netgear modem via ethernet cable what does the ethernet status list under the network settings box on your Mac, connected or not connected? If it's not showing connected make sure the Mac's ethernet speed is set to automatic or 100baseT and not 1000baseT. According to the specs, that DM200's ethernet port is limited to 100 Mbps so if the Mac's ethernet card is set to 1000baseT, it will not communicate with that modem while directly connected to it.
by bread » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:47 am
With the WiFi off, the ethernet icon is "disconnected". The ethernet setting is "Automatic".

I am moving on to the thought that the issue here may not be the modem at all, but lay in the Mac mini . Since the mini has only one ethernet port I cannot try another to test whether the port is bad. What I have done is order a USB to ethernet adapter which will arrive tomorrow and I will try connecting through a USB port. This whole fiasco may reveal itself when I see if has been a bad port all along. Will let you know ASAP.

Again, thank you so much for all you have done in walking me through this issue thus far.

Bruce
22 posts Page 2 of 3