Good installation experience with AT&T

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by taa_sonic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am
Sonic fiber isn't available in my neighborhood, but AT&T fiber became available this year, so I decided to try Fusion service.

My house is wired with Cat5E, and a couple of lines run from the mechanicals room to a weatherproof box on the outside wall. I ran power from a nearby outside outlet to the box to prepare for the installation.

Wait time for the installation was about two weeks. The AT&T guy showed up at the beginning of the appointment window. He was friendly and knowledgeable, and walked me through the whole process. From beginning to end took about four hours. The most time-consuming job was getting the fiber past some tree branches; he had to call in a truck with a bucket to take care of that. The ONT and its power supply fit in the outside box with room to spare.

The gateway is an Arris BGW210-700. Configuration has been pretty straightforward, with the only annoying glitch being the blocking of port 22. Both IPv4 and IPv6 are working well on the LAN, as well as inbound and outbound IPv4 on the WAN. After a few superficial checks it looks like outbound IPv6 is working on the WAN, too, but I haven't spent any time on that yet.

On average I'm getting about 940Mb/s down and 850Mb/s up from my desktop machine. (There are two switches between that and the gateway, so a little performance loss isn't surprising.)

All in all, a very good experience.

Allen
by bobino » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm
I just had AT&T fiber installed at my house yesterday, also a good experience. I am seeing 900mbps when I connect a computer directly to the AT&T modem. I'm happy with this.

I also had a great tech support experience immediately with a Sonic guy (dang, I wish I could remember his name). I have my own router and a rather complex home network with dynamic DNS and port forwarding. The Sonic tech walked me though the process of configuring the AT&T modem to pass through the IP address and turn off all services to the LAN (DHCP, wifi, etc) so that my router could perform all the required services.

We had to step through this process several times as we tried to figure out why speed was only 300mbps when my computer is connected to my router. He was knowledgeable and wonderfully supportive in helping me get the configuration I wanted during the hour long phone call.

My next project is to troubleshoot my home network to fix this speed problem. Certainly my problem and not a problem with AT&T or Sonic.

I couldn't have had a better installation experience. Really top notch.
by badufamily » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:15 pm
Please keep us updated; I haven't configured the AT&T gear for pure pass through yet, simply turned off the WIFI parts of the provided gear and disabled DHCP. ( seemed like a good place to start ) :idea:

on premises I am using an older ZyXel USG 50 firewall as the front door. Previously Sonic DSL was one of the two WAN ports, the other a fine WISP now relegated to failover.
by bobino » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:46 pm
badufamily wrote:Please keep us updated; I haven't configured the AT&T gear for pure pass through yet, simply turned off the WIFI parts of the provided gear and disabled DHCP. ( seemed like a good place to start ) :idea:

on premises I am using an older ZyXel USG 50 firewall as the front door. Previously Sonic DSL was one of the two WAN ports, the other a fine WISP now relegated to failover.
The AT&T router config includes what you listed but it's a bit more than that. I recommend you call Sonic tech support. This is a non-supported configuration but he had access to some document that he admitted came from the internet. He used it to help me out. It wasn't something he looked up, it was quickly available to him as they have used it to help others. He said this was a non-supported config but he gave me excellent support with an hour long phone call. Since installation four days ago, my connection has been solid and a much higher speed than I had with Comcast for more cost. I had to change nothing on my router to work with the new internet service.

I'm still working on taking full advantage of the 1gbps connection. I'm currently in the process of upgrading my router to a newer model (ASUS RT-AT86U). Searching the web, I found many others with the same problem using my old router (ASUS RT-AC68U). The model 68U apparently doesn't have hardware strong enough to support high speed WAN to LAN data transfer. The new one is better, though still a consumer level product in my price range (less than $200).

I intend to use the old router to be an AiMesh router, extending WiFi to my basement.
by timyu94 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:41 pm
For Arris RGs it's IP Passthrough and for Pace RGs it's DMZ+.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... /KM1188700
5 posts Page 1 of 1