Wake-On-LAN magic packets

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by avitzur » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:48 pm
Any advice on enabling Wake-on-Lan?

My eero pro (model B010001 running eero OSv3.16.0-323) does not seem to be forwarding the Wake-on-LAN magic packets to my Mac Mini. I have port forwarding on ports 9 and 22 set to direct those to the Mac, and have tried both wireless and wired ethernet connections from the eero to the mac. I’m not sure if the Wake-on-LAN is being blocked by the eero wireless or by the Adtran ONT.

If I send the Wake-on-LAN packets from within the NAT, they work, trying to wake the server from outside the NAT, WOL does not get through. If the server is already awake, then everything works fine.
by gtwrek » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am
Knowing just enough to get me in trouble, but as far as I know, Wake-On-Lan packets are not routable nor (by extension) NAT'able.

I use Wake-On-Lan for some of my machines. But's it's always initiated from a machine (or from the router itself) directly on the local LAN.

In the event I need to do this from the WAN side, I have careful firewall rules (and a locked up router with strong credentials), to allow me to login to the router from the WAN, and manually initiate the WOL (on LAN side interface).

Regards,
Mark
by derek » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:51 pm
I don't have the same network gear as you, but on my router, I can add static arp entries. So I have a 192.168.0.250 mapped to the ethernet broadcast address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. So all packets for 192.168.0.250 are sent to all of my hosts. I then set up a port forward for e.g. udp/12345 on the router to forward to 192.168.0.250. I can send a WOL packet from the internet to mypublic.ip:12345, it gets port forwarded to the extra address, the address is found in the arp table, and is sent to all the machines on that subnet.
3 posts Page 1 of 1