AT&T Fiber - Smart Home Manager

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by keheartt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:44 pm
Hello,
wondering if there is any way to use AT&T Smart Home Manager (web or app) in order to manager users of our Sonic/ATT router? If we're getting ATT service it would be great to be able to use this in order to set time limits and turn off connected devices, since it's virtually impossible to do so from the router settings.

Anyone got other solutions that are easier for managing and turning off internet access for some devices? As well as set timers, ie. so one device could get cut off at 8pm and another at 9pm, etc.

Not looking for more connected junk like "Circle" and stuff like that.

Thanks for advice on how to manage this router - there must be something easier than going into settings and blocking MAC addresses.
by michelevit » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm
I have the exact same question. It would be great if I could use my smart phone app to see who is on my wifi and also manage it from the comfort of my phone.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
by bsdonovan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:15 am
I have the same question as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
by leonid@leonix.us » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:11 pm
I have the same question
by garydarcher » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Same here
by alanwtse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Hello,

I don't know about the app but I would recommend using your own router behind the ATT broadband router for those features and controls. Google Wifi is a good option as there is an app build in to their interface to provide the parental control and time of use.
by honeyfarm » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:35 pm
I second the recommendation for adding your own router. I've had Google Wifi for several years and it works very well, but if I were buying something today I would go for the Eero mesh. You can even rent them from Sonic. https://www.sonic.com/betterwifi

The parental controls are front and center on the Eero app. You have to dig a little to get to them on Google Wifi.
by notyoutoo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 am
Ahh, the joy of having to use a AT&T equipment but not getting to use their integrated tools. What a wonderful load of crap.

So I clicked on the link for Smart Home Manager, and when I entered a valid AT&T login (still using them for mobile), they tell me:

Uh oh. This User ID is not associated with AT&T Internet service. If you are an AT&T Internet customer you can try using another User ID, select Forgot ID below, or link your accounts for easy access.
Learn More (403.400)

So.... _they know_. :-}

Of course it's also annoying that there's a perfectly good ATA (for analog phone lines) _built into the router_ that Sonic can't access either, and then they turn around and charge us $6.95/mo for a box that is $32.08 with FREE Shipping right now, on Amazon.

But short of reverse-engineering the system that Arris/Pace/AT&T use and setting up your own fake "Smart Home Manager" endpoint, I don't think there's much hope of getting to use this feature on Sonic.

Which is a bummer, because my son could really use some "help" with the distractions of YouTube, Scratch, etc during the online schoolday. *SIGH*, Covid.
by keheartt » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm
I agree, I'm about to ditch this and take up ATT directly if I can't get some blocking going on. Especially with the home-schooling going on and teachers now noticing that kids are distracted since they've figured out how to split screen and watch youtube all while class is going on...
by honeyfarm » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:54 pm
I highly recommend https://cleanbrowsing.org/ for DNS based content filtering. I have 3 middle schoolers and I pay for the basic plan for $60 a year. I am able to easily block and unblock specific sites (YouTube, Fortnite) or more broad categories (gaming or streaming services). I can force YouTube into moderate or strict restricted mode. None of them have their own cellular devices so it's very easy to manage and control their access using CleanBrowsing.
10 posts Page 1 of 1