Questions about hot spot/VPN

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by alexlmchoi » Fri May 20, 2011 10:54 am
First of all, I am happy with my newly activated Sonic.net Fusion. Although there was a two-day delay because AT&T didn't do its part right, Sonic.net techs (Alexander and Edwin) did a very good job explaining the situation to me. Now my internet speed is ~14mbps according to speedtest.net and my home is 4402ft from CO.

Anyway, my question is that when I was browsing sonic.net's page, I noticed there was hot spot services. So I'm wondering, can I use wifi to connect to a network that needs authentication, then use the VPN client to bypass it and connect to sonic.net's VPN and surf on the Internet?

Thanks!
by dane » Fri May 20, 2011 11:08 am
We've got two different items:

We used to support a hotspot hosting solution, using equipment from Meraki. When they moved their product focus from service providers to enterprise, we chose to stop supporting this platform, and it has since been retired.

We continue to offer VPN service - this allows you to obtain a secure encrypted connection to our network from any wireless, mobile, or even wired network, as long as they do not block VPN. The VPN can provide security and assure that your Internet usage cannot be "sniffed" by other users in the area. The release of Firesheep for example has made it clear that this is important. News: http://www.lex18.com/news/internet-brow ... -computers

For more on our VPN service here, see: http://sonic.net/features/vpn/

VPN is free for Sonic.net customers, and is one more benefit of using Sonic.net for your broadband service.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by alexlmchoi » Fri May 20, 2011 12:09 pm
Got it. So I guess if I interpret this right, I can use the VPN function even though I am in another country, right?
by dane » Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 pm
Yes, you can connect from anywhere - the idea is to establish a secure connection to a "trusted" network (ours.)

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Gfgrocery » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm
Are you able to see/connect to other clients connected to the VPN with the same sonic.net account login/password?
by dane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 pm
Gfgrocery wrote:Are you able to see/connect to other clients connected to the VPN with the same sonic.net account login/password?
No, it's secured per client. And, we only expect one connection at a time per account.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1