Black hole in the middle of SF Sunset district

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by a-b » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:57 pm
Can anyone explain the black hole in Sonic coverage in the middle of Sunset district?

What can I do to expedite Sonic infrastructure in my block 38th between Rivera and Santiago?
I hate AT&T and I want pure Sonic experience ASAP!

credits for the map to https://broadbandnow.com/California/San ... ?zip=94116
by ozone » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:15 pm
From Google street view it looks like utilities are underground. Sonic is only doing areas with poles.
by a-b » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:06 am
ozone wrote:From Google street view it looks like utilities are underground. Sonic is only doing areas with poles.
There are street poles on my street https://goo.gl/maps/c59RJzUz6n7bqziK6
by joeyyung911 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:14 am
Maybe it's overloaded.
by a-b » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am
joeyyung911 wrote:Maybe it's overloaded.
Comparing with other poles on connected streets around this location makes me believe this is not the case. Not an expert though.
by Larns576 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm
Or a bad pole. It's possible that the pole is bad and/or needs reinforcement even though it looks ok visually. The pole could be anywhere nearby, not necessarily on your block.

Do all surrounding blocks have Sonic fiber, and only your block is in the black hole?
by a-b » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 pm
Larns576 wrote:Do all surrounding blocks have Sonic fiber, and only your block is in the black hole?
Pretty much yes.
by In the black hole » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:36 am
I asked about this in another thread last year and per Dane, although utilities are above ground, streets south of St. Ignatius High School are fed by East-West wiring.

AT&T is offering fiber since they could find a means to do so (e.g. digging up streets).
by a-b » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 am
In the black hole wrote:I asked about this in another thread last year and per Dane, although utilities are above ground, streets south of St. Ignatius High School are fed by East-West wiring.

AT&T is offering fiber since they could find a means to do so (e.g. digging up streets).
Thanks for your contribution to this thread. Can you or perhaps Dane please explain why
East-West wiring
is a problem and what could be done to solve it?
by Larns576 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am
Dane has said on numerous other threads that it wasn't cost effective to dig up streets and install trenches. So they're focused on aerial installations until S.F. allows more modern trench less installs, such as microtrenching. S.F. doesnt seem too interested in changing the laws for the time being.
21 posts Page 1 of 3