Will a 2Wire 2701HGV-B modem work with Fusion?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by Mike » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 pm
I placed my order today to switch from AT&T U-verse to Sonic Fusion.

Can I continue to use the 2Wire modem (model 2701HGV-B) that AT&T provided me for U-verse? I'm having a hard time finding any technical information about it online.

Thanks,
Mike
by dane » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 pm
Most 2-Wire units work, but the U-Verse modem is a VDSL unit, which will not work with Fusion's ADSL2+ protocol.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by polpo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:56 pm
The 2701HGV-B is used with AT&T's "U-Verse High Speed Internet", which is an ADSL2/2+ product. Also, with this service, the customer owns the modem unlike with the traditional VDSL U-Verse service. Promising so far, but the service isn't ATM-based, it's IP-DSLAM based. From the manual (available here), it looks like it's usable with ATM and you can set things like the VPI/VCI, but AT&T may have locked that functionality down. If that's the case, you will need to reflash the firmware to a stock 2Wire version.

It may be less of a headache to just buy a new modem.
by Mike » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:11 am
Thanks for the help, Polpo.

You were correct -- the 2701HGV-B I was using with U-Verse is locked down and won't establish a connection.

If you know which 2Wire firmware I should use to re-flash I'd be interested to try it, but for now I'm up and running with an old SpeedStream 4100 I had left over from my AT&T/Yahoo DSL days (or perhaps it was dslextreme...).

The SpeedStream just plugged in and started working, which was a pleasant surprise. It's not ADSL2+ but it's as fast as my U-Verse connection with 2-3x quicker ping, so it'll do for the moment.
by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:27 pm
Will 2Wire HomePortal 100 support ADSL2+?
by tjj » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 pm
The HomePortal 100 doesn't have much information online, but the 1000 is ADSL1 only, so I would assume that the 100 is not ADSL2+.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
6 posts Page 1 of 1