Gigabit Fiber: Power Outage Battery Backup

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by niteshyadav » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:52 pm
Hi,

I just got Sonic gigabit fiber in my new home in SF. I'm looking into buying a UPS to power the fiber ONT in case our power ever goes out. My goal is to be able to still have working Internet or at least landline phone service in case of an emergency situation (i.e. earthquake, other natural disaster, P&G safety power shut-off, general power outage, etc.). I have a couple questions related to how this would work:
  1. What type of UPS / battery backup should I get? Do I need a specific voltage and/or amperage to drive the ONT?
  2. Does anyone know how many Watts of power the ONT consumes on average so that I can plan out how much battery capacity in Watt-hours or mAh to get?
  3. I'm assuming Sonic has some sort of contingency plan in place for power outages / emergencies, so does anyone know how long the part of the fiber network and VOIP service outside my home is set up to last for driven on battery backups, etc.?
Thanks!
by rtrinh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:53 am
1. Get a standard UPS to keep power to the ONT, router etc.
2. Less than 4 watts https://walkerfirst.com/uploads/files/l ... 01-411.pdf
3. No idea. I'm wondering about that myself now.
by ankh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:14 am
'oogled:

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ery-Backup

We have two options available that are offered on the sign up page after an order is placed. Users who would like to purchase a power supply after installation will want to call in and we will schedule a dispatch to install the power supply.

Battery_order_page.png
by ankh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:15 am
Aside, much of Berkeley was without AC power a few days ago.
My phone line has Sonic's 8-hour smaller backup battery installed
Phone service was maintained.
We're just a few blocks from the nearest big phone company switching building.
by virtualmike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 pm
I'm using Fusion IP Broadband, so I have the AT&T Pace Router and a Grandstream phone adapter. I also have a Panasonic cordless phone with three handsets. The router, phone adapter, and phone base unit are plugged into a CyberPower UPS that I bought off the shelf at Costco. I don't remember the price, but I do like the fact that it has a display that tells me its health and expected backup time. It claims that I have ~10 hours of backup on it. It also has two USB ports that I can use to charge a cell phone or tablet when the power is off.
by dane » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:25 pm
niteshyadav wrote: I'm assuming Sonic has some sort of contingency plan in place for power outages / emergencies, so does anyone know how long the part of the fiber network and VOIP service outside my home is set up to last for driven on battery backups, etc.?
Sonic's network and systems are designed to remain online indefinitely in case of any utility outages. Unless we have some unanticipated situation arise, we have designed our entire network to remain online regardless of utility inputs such as power, water or natural gas.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 am
https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ery-Backup

We have two options available that are offered on the sign up page after an order is placed. Users who would like to purchase a power supply after installation will want to call in and we will schedule a dispatch to install the power supply.
That's fake news, my elderly neighbor just called Sonic about this and was told they're no longer available except on the day of installation. And unfortunately, Sonic's recommended hardware is no longer available on Amazon either.

Newer advice needed.
by ankh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:40 am
A question for Dane --- in the event of a long power outage, does it make sense to unplug the phone to save battery charge, and just plug it in when we need to use the phone?
by stefanl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 am
ankh wrote: That's fake news, my elderly neighbor just called Sonic about this and was told they're no longer available except on the day of installation. And unfortunately, Sonic's recommended hardware is no longer available on Amazon either.

Newer advice needed.
This is what I learned as well, according to https://twitter.com/sonic/status/1188889797923876865
After double checking with my departments it does not seem that we are able to offer battery backups after installation.
I too am looking for something equivalent to the PS18L recommended by Sonic. My ONT is in the crawlspace, and thus I'm looking for a wall-mountable UPS with a small profile. Most of the UPSes recommended in the Sonic Forums are large bulky things not suitable for a crawlspace.

The PS18L is pretty hard to find new. It's possible that the device has been End-of-life'd.

Any recommendations?
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by anom » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:25 pm
Maybe one of these.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produ ... x/outdoor/

I use an indoor 36watt version.
26 posts Page 1 of 3