Gigabit Fiber: Power Outage Battery Backup

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 3 of 3
by cmeisel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Not really sort of. I am aware Sonic doesn't sell their items but in their article (the one i lined to), they link to Amazon and various UPS units. Not the one they sell you at install time but others.

stefanl wrote:
Sonic has this article and it links to amazon as well.
Well, sort of. Sonic doesn't sell the ONT UPS to customers any more (as mentioned earlier in this thread), and the PS18L appears to have been discontinued. There are some PS18Ls available used on eBay but they are expensive and I chose to go with a newer UPS.

-= Stefan
by stefanl » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 pm
they link to Amazon and various UPS units
Right, and any of us can find and buy a standard UPS. But the discussion here was more about recommendations for specific UPSes that might work better for the ONT then a general UPS -- there might be specific needs like weather resistance, small footprint, DC power (instead of AC), which is why several of us have shared the specific model that we have found.

We're just trying to help one another here.
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by jlove » Fri May 01, 2020 2:41 pm
Stephan - What did you end up using?
I found this TalentCell Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 27000mAh 98Wh Lithium ion Backup Battery with DC 12V/9V/5V Output on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLD32RP/?c ... _lig_dp_it
and am wondering if this straight DC to DC unit might work better than a standard AC UPS.
by joeyyung911 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:18 pm
Having just recently experienced a power outage, I purchased this one (arrives next week). Measured all my network equipment, usage no higher than 25 watts, should last me a few hours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DB ... UTF8&psc=1
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by stefanl » Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 am
jlove wrote:Stephan - What did you end up using?
I found this TalentCell Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 27000mAh 98Wh Lithium ion Backup Battery with DC 12V/9V/5V Output on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLD32RP/?c ... _lig_dp_it
and am wondering if this straight DC to DC unit might work better than a standard AC UPS.
I ended up getting one of these. It does DC to DC power, which should make the UPS more efficient than a standard AC UPS, and avoids a wall-wart in the setup. It's $40 from Amazon. 8800mAH

https://smile.amazon.com/Uninterruptabl ... 081&sr=8-5
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by henrik » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 pm
Here's my power-outage battery backup that gives me a solid 40+ hours of constant internet access.

Battery backup for the Sonic ONT:

In August 2020, I ordered the TalentCell Mini UPS (TalentCell SL3400; 64 USD on Amazon) to be used as a power backup for a Sonic fiber internet. The Sonic "modem" - an ADTRAN 411 Optical network terminal (ONT) - runs on 12V DC. The "2x DC5521 male to male Power Cable" (41 cm; 16 inch) that comes with the UPS have 5.5x2.1mm plugs (outer 5.5mm, inner 2.1mm). This does *not* fit the Sonic ONT, which has takes something like a 3.5x1.35mm plug (exact dimension unknown but this one works perfectly). To solve this, I ended up ordering a separate 5.5x2.1mm-female-to-3.5x1.35mm-male adaptor. Specifically, 'IBERLS Universal 5V DC Power Cable, USB to DC 5.5x2.1mm Plug Charging Cord with 10 Connector Tips(5.5x2.5, 4.8x1.7, 4.0x1.7, 4.0x1.35, 3.5x1.35, 3.0x1.1, 2.5x0.7, Micro USB, Type-C, Mini USB)' (9 USD on Amazon). FYI, the 5.5x2.1mm DC plug is a non-proprietary open standard, whereas the jungle of the other dimensions is often due to different companies running their own standard.

Run-time test: I ran a test with the Sonic ONT being powered solely by the battery of the UPS. It ran for 24/7 and lasted exactly 44 hours. I had full working internet access all the time. It took approx 7 hours to charge the UPS back up to 100%.

Specifications:
TalentCell Mini UPS
Model: SL3400
Serial number: 202007171511
Battery: Lithium ion
Capacity: 11.1V/8.8Ah (98Wh)
Input: DC5521 12.6V/2A (inner positive, outer negative)
Output:
- 4*DC5521 (9-12.6)V/4A Max.
- 1*DC5521 9V/2A Max.
- 2*USB: 5V/2A Max.
Labels: CE, RoHS, recycle, no-trash
Over-charged/discharged protection
Short-circuit protection
Made in China
Source: From the label on the back of the UPS

Battery backup for mini-travel WiFi router:

Note: The above setup is only to power the ONT. You still need to power your WiFi/Ethernet router. If it runs on 12V, 9V, or USB, the above UPS should be able to power that one as well. My ordinary ASUS RT-AC68U router is 19V so I can't use that. However, I've got a GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 (300 Gbps) mini travel WiFi router (21 USD on Amazon) that is powered over USB (5V). This one I'll power via a separate, regular 21,000 mAh USB battery (legacy, no longer sold) in order to maximize the time I can keep the ONT running on battery.

Run-time test: I ran a test with the mini-WiFi router powered solely by the second battery. It ran for 24/7 for 50-60 hours before running out of juice.

Ask from Sonic: I really tried to locate information on the 12V plug that the Sonic ONT uses but failed - my best guess is approx. 3.5x1.35mm. It would be helpful if you could share that information to avoid trial-and-error purchases.

2020-09-21: Added TalentCell Mini UPS specification.
26 posts Page 3 of 3