Fusion subscribers >10,000 ft from CO?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm
Hello,

I am hoping to connect with some FUSION subscribers who are 10,000+ ft from their CO. My AT&T business DSL connection from AT&T is quite slow and variable, which isn't surprising because I am 13,000 ft from the CO. I would like to know what sort of speeds I can expect with either of the two Fusion offerings. I need to make a change and I want to weigh the costs and benefits of T1 vs Fusion.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug
by dane » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:31 pm
Basically at 13,000ft, you can expect similar performance with Fusion ADSL2+ as you are receiving today with AT&T ADSL1. It may be slightly better, but not likely more than 25%.

If you'd like more performance, opt for two-line Fusion, which bonds two circuits, providing twice the performance.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by simonson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:41 pm
I am a bit further out - near 15,000. My experience is what was predicted concerning download speed. I went from 1.5 to about 1.8 - a slight improvement. However, the upload speed increased significantly, to nearly 800. I don't send many files upstream that are large, but this is noticeable. I was told that the upstream uses a different part of the spectrum, that does not degrade quite so much with distance.
by kriso » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm
Remember you still are using the same AT&T equipment from the CO regardless of what DSL provider you use.
I previously had Speakeasy about a year ago. It was ~400kbps max due to being >14,000 ft from the CO. It probably was not ADSL2+. However, even though Sonic is using ADSL2+, we are only getting about 418kbps and that's been shaky. I'm not sure what's going on, but the line drops on me periodically and sometimes drops down below 40kbps. So much for living in the heart of high tech.

I wish AT&T had to give access to their fiber to other providers.
by paulbarwick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm
"Remember you still are using the same AT&T equipment from the CO regardless of what DSL provider you use. "

Actually I don't think that is true in the case of Fusion. Yes, you are still using the same copper wires from your home to the AT&T central office, but inside the central office the equipment those wires are connected to is provided by Sonic.net, who rents space for that equipment from AT&T.
by dane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 pm
paulbarwick wrote:"Remember you still are using the same AT&T equipment from the CO regardless of what DSL provider you use. "

Actually I don't think that is true in the case of Fusion. Yes, you are still using the same copper wires from your home to the AT&T central office, but inside the central office the equipment those wires are connected to is provided by Sonic.net, who rents space for that equipment from AT&T.
This is correct. With Fusion service, it's our own equipment.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:11 pm
So with legacy DSL, where does your equipment start? I have neighbors who complain about AT&T DSL outages when my Sonic DSL is working fine.
by dane » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 pm
bobrk wrote:So with legacy DSL, where does your equipment start? I have neighbors who complain about AT&T DSL outages when my Sonic DSL is working fine.
For legacy line-shared AT&T DSL services, they run the DSLAM in the CO, plus the ATM backhaul network, and customers are handed to us on a large ATM aggregation circuit. We run layer 3 (IP) and above, DNS, services, etc.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm
So my neighbor's outages are due to failures in AT&T's layer 3 infrastructure. I always mention that Sonic has "better servers" to make it simple. ;)
9 posts Page 1 of 1