Fiber being installed Cole Street at Waller Street SF

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by jgainor » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:18 pm
Going out for afternoon walk and saw large cable being installed on Cole street at Waller. Asked one of the workers said it was Fiber and 5G being installed in neighborhood. I asked who will be affected he said AT&T and Sonic. Since the building I live in gets all utilities from poles (same poles fiber is going on) on Cole street (Electricity and telephones lines) at corner of Waller. He speculated fiber should be ready in a few weeks or at most a month or so. In the past Sonic has been silent on future deployment what is the situation now? Still living in 4.5 DSL reality and hope this is good news soon.

Company installing Fiber on Cole Street:
Prism Engineering INC
General Contractor
CA 237848

Thanks
Jerry
by tbessie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 pm
I live in the same building as the OP, and I am really REALLY interested in this, too!

- Tim
by larns576 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:09 am
Looking at permits, it seems like Verizon may be installing fiber around that area. If it is Sonic's own fiber network, you should've been able to preorder by now. If it's ATT's fiber, you wont know until they put up the order availability afterwards. If it belongs to Verizon, don't know what to tell you - do they even sell fiber to the home?
by dane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:38 am
I'm not aware of us doing any work at that location right now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by racker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:26 am
wonder if contractors say they work for sonic because people like sonic :)
by dane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:05 pm
racker wrote:wonder if contractors say they work for sonic because people like sonic :)
That'd be funny. But no, they're not working for us.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tbessie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:33 pm
Or maybe they work for AT&T, and know that Sonic uses AT&T lines, so were extrapolating?
by dane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:35 pm
tbessie wrote:Or maybe they work for AT&T, and know that Sonic uses AT&T lines, so were extrapolating?
Doubt it. Also strange that they'd say they were working on fiber for 5G, likely that'd be for Verizon. So maybe when asked "who would be affected", they mean which competitors will be? Dunno.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jgainor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Latest update: Fiber being installed on Cole street and Carl (Dec 2, 2019) by third party contractor. Person I spoke to said it was for Verizon 5G network. He said they were down by Waller earlier and have been working the entire neighborhood for about 3 weeks installing fiber for Verizon. He also said neighborhood has plenty of poles and work was progressing more rapidly than expected. I guess the obvious question for Sonic is why this neighborhood has been put on lower priority over the years? Hopefully by the time Sonic gets around to using those poles they don't become overloaded by all the other companies!

Jerry
by dane » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm
The primary issue in the Parnassus/Cole Valley/Panhandle areas is isolation: there is no central office in the area, and the infrastructure is isolated by significant underground segments. And with SF's current policies regarding new underground utility construction, we haven't found a good way to get into the region to interconnect it to a central office hub location.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
12 posts Page 1 of 2