Comcast Speed VS Sonic questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by thewuzimu » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am
Hi, all. I'm confused comparing Comcast to Sonic.

I have 250 DL speed (boosted with Blast) from Comcast for $95.

What is the Sonic equivalent? 100 is much lower and 1000 is around the same price.

Any advice would help
by racker15 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm
Comcast is probably 250 Mbps download and something like 10-20 Mbps upload. Upload is important for things like backing up photos to Google Photos or iCloud etc., and for generally reliable internet access.

Sonic Fiber would be 1,000 download and 1,000 upload. To be honest, most people won't notice a difference for downloads unless you have a bunch of people using the internet at the same time, and WiFi is frequently the limiting piece past 300+ Mbps. Sonic has many other benefits (net neutrality, good customer support, lower ping latency)
by larns576 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm
When moving from Comcast 400Mb to ATT Fiber 300Mb fiber, biggest difference I noticed was from the ping times. Comcast was typically 25ms while fiber was 2ms. Web page load times were noticeably faster on fiber and it definitely felt snappier. Streaming HD movies felt the same as it probably only uses <30Mb per stream. Later, moving from ATT 300 fiber -> Sonic 1000 fiber felt exactly the same for me.

Most people would find a 100Mb to be sufficient. You can stream a couple HD movies at the same time (Netflix bandwidth is very efficient) and not notice a thing.

If you are deciding of which ATT fiber plan to choose from, I recommend the middle one for the average family.
3 posts Page 1 of 1