Fulton and Scott In SF. Any prognostication?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by AtariBaby » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:27 am
Hi all. Sorry to waste your time but it seems like you’re now able to give more specifics these days.

Is there any possibility of your fiber coming to meet at Fulton in Scott anytime soon? Is legislation or other obstacle in the way for the for seeable future?

I’m a sonic evangelist and used to have the service for years, until the speeds of DSL were no longer satisfactory. I would love to return as a fiber customer.

Thanks for taking the time.
by AtariBaby » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 am
Come on, Dane. What do the tea leaves say?
by igorru » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am
From Google Street View it looks like that whole area has underground utilities. That would prevent Sonic from deploying fiber at the moment. Search the forums for posts about microtrenching for more info:
search.php?keywords=microtrenching
by Larns576 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 am
Microtrenching and city wide fiber are both dead
by dane » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:14 pm
Bingo.

Today, SF does not allow new utilities to be placed using trenchless construction methods. Neither standard traditional directional boring nor the more modern microtreching method are allowed. This makes it impossible for a new utility (one that that did not obtain conduit to every home as part of their monopoly franchise) to serve the market.

So, we are continuing to expand our network in SF, but this is focused on the aerial served regions where it is possible to build new networks today.

I'm hopeful that SF will in future allow directional boring, but there does not seem to be an appetite for microtrenching there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1