San Leandro.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Michael » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 pm
Hi guys,

I was wondering what are your plan for San Leandro? My relative recommended me to Sonic Fusion, since I check my address/phone number and I was not qualified. Then I did the same with Fusion and I was 6337 feet behind a RT. I think my CO should be SNLNCA11. (94577) I want to be apart of this amazing service.
by wa2ibm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:13 pm
Sonic Fusion is not available to customers that are 'behind' an RT (Remote Terminal). The Fusion equipment is located only in the CO's and by the time the signal gets to your area, it will be very weak and will be drowned out by the stronger signals created by the RT to other customers in the area.

Sonic can still provision DSL to you via a line sharing contract with AT&T.

The only plan for these types of areas is to install fiber to the home, eventually. I'm in the same boat here in San Jose - too far from the CO. I wouldn't wait for Sonic fiber, it's going to be a very long time, given the expense of the project.
by dane » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:39 pm
San Leandro is interesting because there are some fiber activities going on there. See http://litsanleandro.com/ for some details. No idea if it's likely, but this network could be extended into a residential product.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Atario » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:37 am
I've lived in San Leandro for over 12 years now and only today heard that they installed a fiber loop here a couple of years ago. Now, I understand that they're only selling it to businesses, but what's to stop Sonic from being one of those businesses? Couldn't Sonic install equipment here and there along the loop and start wiring nearby residential customers for downstream service of some sort?
by dane » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:54 pm
Yes, that'd be a possible solution for "middle mile" backhaul, if there was adequate interest in a residential product in nearby neighborhoods. So far we haven't seen a lot of service inquiries or signups from San Leandro however.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Atario » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:02 pm
I don't doubt there hasn't been much interest shown. I don't know how anyone would even have heard of this possibility, much less have made inquiries about it. I'm in the tech industry and live in San Leandro and I've only barely heard of it myself. But I bet a lot of people would be interested in an alternative to Comcast that's just as fast if not faster for the same money.
by San Leandro Resident » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:24 am
I for one want an alternative to Xfinity. If more people knew about sonic they would be interested--it seems like a very strange marketing angle to wait for people to search you out, then sort of willy nilly beg you to come to their area in a volume that would interest you. I've never heard of sonic before today or this service before today. But, I doubt I'm the only one who is tired of the internet service I get with no viable alternative to cable. In my area we have slow downs and outages daily. If you offer a better service at a better price the customers are waiting already. You can't expect them to sign up for a service you aren't offering. I'm waiting for a viable choice, If you come to San Leandro I'll certainly give you a shot.
by SanLeandroResident2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:48 pm
I'm loathe of Comcast. When we moved to San Leandro in Dec 2015 we tried to get Sonic but the quoted time to hookup was like 3 weeks or something. Couldn't go that long without internet in today's age.

I'm going to start reaching out to city council members about granting access to the loop to some residential companies.

San Leandro is an "older" community but it is getting younger quickly.
by echO » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 pm
dane wrote:Yes, that'd be a possible solution for "middle mile" backhaul, if there was adequate interest in a residential product in nearby neighborhoods. So far we haven't seen a lot of service inquiries or signups from San Leandro however.
Oh man, I would love this if this became a possibility. Classic chicken/egg problem though. Not many people know of Sonic, and you need people to know of and express interest.

I hope the new Sonic FTTN avail in San Leandro can be a good starting point. Perhaps a mailing campaign?
9 posts Page 1 of 1