Much Ado About Wall Plates

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by chris.w » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29 pm
To wrap up this topic, or at least my part of it:

My install took place last week. As steven.thomas indicated, the keystone jacks weren’t a problem. For reasons having to do with cable routing rather than compatibility, the installer replaced the RJ45 keystone jack on my Ethernet cable and installed it, along with a new keystone fiber jack, on a new wall plate. No muss, no fuss, no problem.

Here are pictures of the completed work:
New Wall Plate (front).jpg
New Wall Plate (front).jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
New Wall Plate (back).jpg
New Wall Plate (back).jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
by pcowan » Mon May 02, 2022 12:29 pm
To folks reading this thread in 2022 It appears that wall plates may no longer be available directly from Sonic.

Based on this post I did not purchase any keystones or wall (cover) plates.

My installer ran the fiber cable straight out of the newly installed and uncovered junction box. When I asked for a cover plate to be installed they did not seem to know what I was describing until I showed this forum thread. Unfortunately he had none on his truck.

He called a supervisor to ask if anyone nearby had them; however he did not get an immediate reply. As I was his last install for the day I declined his offer to wait for a while to see if a reply came in so he could go home.

I followed up with tech support on the phone and was told these were not available. And have subsequently ordered some online. This is a little unfortunate as the single unit economics are pretty bad. Furthermore, based on the post-install email I received, it’s unclear if Sonic allows me to install them myself.
by robquiett » Mon May 02, 2022 1:28 pm
pcowan wrote:To folks reading this thread in 2022 It appears that wall plates may no longer be available directly from Sonic.

Based on this post I did not purchase any keystones or wall (cover) plates.

My installer ran the fiber cable straight out of the newly installed and uncovered junction box. When I asked for a cover plate to be installed they did not seem to know what I was describing until I showed this forum thread. Unfortunately he had none on his truck.

He called a supervisor to ask if anyone nearby had them; however he did not get an immediate reply. As I was his last install for the day I declined his offer to wait for a while to see if a reply came in so he could go home.

I followed up with tech support on the phone and was told these were not available. And have subsequently ordered some online. This is a little unfortunate as the single unit economics are pretty bad. Furthermore, based on the post-install email I received, it’s unclear if Sonic allows me to install them myself.
Good afternoon,
I took a look at the install pictures that our tech submitted and see why there might have been some confusion here. It looks like the existing junction box you have is a double gang and all of the wall plates we have are for single gang boxes.

I would be happy to arrange for a fiber keystone to be mailed down to you so that you would be able to move the fiber over to a wall plate for the double gang if you had one. I would also be willing to have a technician come back out no charge to move it over for you. The only thing we won't have is the wall plate to cover that junction box.

If you want to do it yourself there will be a low profile white box that says Sonic fiber optic on it that just snaps open. You will find the fiber jumpers are stored in there and would be able to disconnect the incoming black cable there and attach to a keystone and wall plate and then connect the white shorter cable from that plate to your ONT.

Let me how you would like to proceed and I will work to get this setup for you.

Bobby
by pcowan » Mon May 02, 2022 4:11 pm
robquiett wrote: Good afternoon,
I took a look at the install pictures that our tech submitted and see why there might have been some confusion here. It looks like the existing junction box you have is a double gang and all of the wall plates we have are for single gang boxes.
Correct, it is a double gang, I provided a Decora style coverplate. Which wasn’t installed. As the installer didn’t have a keystone, I didn’t ask that they do so.
robquiett wrote: I would be happy to arrange for a fiber keystone to be mailed down to you so that you would be able to move the fiber over to a wall plate for the double gang if you had one.
That would be great! I did specifically ask if this was possible over the phone and told it was not.

I’m happy to install it myself, the installer did show me the steps necessary.
by pcowan » Mon May 16, 2022 2:10 pm
Checking in to see if the keystone has shipped? The Sonic support phone number appears to be down now (at least for my Verizon cell service)

Peter
by robquiett » Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm
pcowan wrote:Checking in to see if the keystone has shipped? The Sonic support phone number appears to be down now (at least for my Verizon cell service)

Peter
Looks like I missed notifications for this. Feel free to send me a private message if you would like regarding this, but I will get a keystone in the mail to you tomorrow 5/17/22 and sent to the address on the account. I see you mentioned a decora style plate. This might not be compatible with our keystones we have. Can you send a picture of the plate you have please?
16 posts Page 2 of 2