When are you coming to Grand Lake/Glenview in Oakland?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by cfarivar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 am
C'mon guys. I want to be a Sonic customer again. :-)
by cfarivar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 am
Specifically: 94610
by smorse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm
I'm a Sonic customer in 94610, but all I can get is 3 Mbps DSL; no Fusion or anything faster. Frankly, I'm tempted to desert Sonic for Comcast, although I hate the thought of abandoning that excellent customer service.
by dane » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm
I'm afraid that the 94610 region is outside of the reach of Fusion service. Sorry.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by smorse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 pm
Please. Tell me why I shouldn't switch to Comcast. Please.
by dane » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 pm
smorse wrote:Please. Tell me why I shouldn't switch to Comcast. Please.
Well, I hate to say it, but perhaps you should. If all we are able to deliver is 3.0Mbps DSL, and if that speed is inadequate for your needs, I just don't have a good solution.

That being said, stay as long as you can stand to - and if/when you do leave, do retain your services aside from access here; email, website, domains, backup dialup, etc. Our staff can assist with this.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cfarivar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:03 am
Dane, seriously though, what's the holdup in expansion to the rest of Oakland? I'd switch (back) to you in a heartbeat.
by smorse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am
Actually, that is the question I should have asked. What's the holdup in 94610? It's a pretty affluent zip code and very tech-savvy. You would have thought it would have decent broadband service long ago.
by wa2ibm » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:44 am
smorse wrote:What's the holdup in 94610?
Have you checked with the pre-qualification tool? http://sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/

If your particular area is behind a Remote Terminal, then Fusion isn't available to you simply because the Fusion equipment is located only in the CO's and cannot reach beyond where an RT is situated.

I'm guessing that your CO is OAKLDCA03, located on the other side of Lake Merritt from you. That's at least 7k feet and could be as much as 10k feet or so (as the crow flies). We know that cables don't fly like crows, so your actual distance is much greater. This puts you in RT territory. See above.

Your only hope for Sonic Fusion is if/when they decide to run fiber to your area. I wouldn't hold my breath.
9 posts Page 1 of 1