9000 feet from co

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm
Is there anyone on Sonic with 9000 feet from co. Please let me know your speed reading, I want to switch to Sonic but not sure how fast i will get. Thanks.
by dane » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:20 pm
The average at that distance is about 6Mbps. There's a chart, here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269108 ... ance-chart
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm
My sign at Sonic.net up detected high 8,000's for me and I get 4480kbps down (right in the middle of the scatter plot on the post Dane linked to) and 1024kbps up. Still better than the conventional DSL I migrated from at ~2400kbps. FWIW in case it helps anyone this translates to being able to view Youtube 720p videos without buffering assuming no other delay somewhere in the system. 1080p needs buffering.
by patty1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:19 am
Maybe it's obvious to people who work with charts a lot, but I had to stare at that chart for a couple minutes before I knew which axis was distance and which was speed, as the number range is identical. How about some labels? As I say, maybe people more familiar with charting than I am know that when someone says "speed vs. distance," they are automatically mentioning the vertical axis first, but I'm not trained in that.

Also, it would be nice to have that chart or a synopsis of it in the Fusion FAQ. I just read the FAQ and there was no mention of how distance affects Fusion performance. I just checked my address to see whether there was a CO nearer me than last time I checked, and had I not seen previous discussions and known that 14,700 feet is really pushing it, I would have thought I was ready to go. Perhaps any result over 10,000 (?) feet should be footnoted to call Sonic for more information before ordering.

Mostly I'm just kvetching because I'm still too far from a Fusion outlet to be able to switch to it. :D
by Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:47 pm
I'm just over 9000 feet from co and typically average 4-5 Mbps, although lately it has dropped closer to 3. Upload is fairly consistent at about .85 Mbps.
5 posts Page 1 of 1