ordering new service question

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by obake » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:47 am
I'm looking to move to a new house soon and sadly I am too far away to get Fusion at this address. Therefore, it seems like I don't have any other choice than to get the elite dsl option since I do not want to migrate my current dsl service from another provider.

A couple questions:

1. When I order the dsl service, I assume it comes with a self-install kit or does it require a tech to come and install?

I remember the dsl at my current place some "techs" came and connected everything, but a few weeks later I was constantly disconnecting and I had to complain to customer support for them to run a test on my line and then send a tech out after discovering I had some "line noise". They replaced some old wiring/board located in my garage with a box of some sort and the issue was resolved. I am concerned this may be an issue at my new address, but don't have a way to know yet as I have not migrate my landline to there yet.

2. Can I place an order now and receive equipment (if self-install kit) and specify a certain date on when I want the service active and the billing to begin? I would like to have zero downtime with internet access when moving if possible.

Thanks.
by tjj » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 pm
1. When I order the dsl service, I assume it comes with a self-install kit or does it require a tech to come and install?
You can order the DSL equipment that comes with filters, splitters and the modem. We offer a standard modem for $49.95 and a wifi router/modem combo unit for $99.95. Tax, shipping and handling are separate.
I remember the dsl at my current place some "techs" came and connected everything, but a few weeks later I was constantly disconnecting and I had to complain to customer support for them to run a test on my line and then send a tech out after discovering I had some "line noise". They replaced some old wiring/board located in my garage with a box of some sort and the issue was resolved. I am concerned this may be an issue at my new address, but don't have a way to know yet as I have not migrate my landline to there yet.
If this is the case, we can have someone come out and repair the line there, but in most cases, this is not necessary.
2. Can I place an order now and receive equipment (if self-install kit) and specify a certain date on when I want the service active and the billing to begin? I would like to have zero downtime with internet access when moving if possible.
You can place the order and put in the notes when you want service to be activated. It is much easier to just order the service 3-7 business days before you want it active. We don't mail the equipment until the install date is determined from AT&T, so you wouldn't get the kit any faster ordering sooner.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by obake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:01 am
Thanks for the response.

Since I'm currently on AT&T, would it be possible for me to just use my current modem? I'd probably need to order the filters and splitters if that is possible seperately, but not a big issue if it's bundled together as a package with a modem.

I'm not entirely too sure of my exact move date, but it is good to know I can specify when I want it active (does this mean the billing cycle would begin the day of activation or the moment when I order it regardless of whether it's active or not?)
by tjj » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:23 pm
If you have a modem that works with your current AT&T DSL, it is a pretty good bet that it will work with your new Sonic.net service. It may need to be reconfigured to use DHCP or bridged mode and not PPPoE like AT&T and others use.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
4 posts Page 1 of 1