static IP with Sonic service over at&t fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bakul » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 pm
Someone who has Gbps service from at&t told me he was able to get static ip addresses by paying extra. Some web-searching showed other people have also gotten a block of 8 static IP addresses (5 usable) for $15/month.

Is this a possibility with the Sonic internet service over at&t?

Thanks,
Bakul
by ewhac » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 pm
The consistent message from Dane has been that, no, static IP is not available on fiber services, no way, no how. (What he doesn't elaborate on is why, making me wonder if this is a restriction imposed by his own upstream provider(s).)

Static IP is available on their Fusion DSL services. This is the first I've heard AT&T offers static IP on anything.
by Mike-in-berkeley » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:36 am
FWIW, although it's been awhile, I've had both AT&T DSL and Uverse in the past with a similar static /29 address range and price. I've also used LMI's DSL with a similar static /29 and price. It doesn't shock me at all that AT&T would have this available on their fiber. Considering that LMI is an ISP customer of Sonic, I do find it both a bit surprising, and extremely unfortunate for me, that Sonic will not offer static IPs on its fiber.

I feel like I have the choice of being able to see the internet and have fiber or actually being on the internet but (-in a soup nazi voice-) no fiber for you!. On the plus side, Sonic putting in fiber to my neighborhood may cause AT&T to support fiber here as well. If AT&T does indeed support static IP on their fiber, I may actually have the option of being on the internet and having a relatively contemporary connection at the same time (as opposed to the current speed that the 90's would have found mediocre). Although, it would mean dealing with AT&T. They are awful, but better awful and on the net than nice and off it. :}
3 posts Page 1 of 1