Sonic.net's attitude towards 6-strikes

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by jat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 am
I haven't seen a post about the 6-strikes policy other ISPs have introduced, so I think I'll start one.

If anybody isn't familiar, the six-strikes program (see http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... cy-debuts/ for a good press writeup) has ISPs monitoring the activity of their users to prevent copyright violation, with an escalating scale of punishments with additional accusations (and a $35 fee to challenge an accusation). The major nationwide ISPs (Comcast, Verizon, etc.) have all signed on.

I just recently recommended Sonic to someone; amongst the things I said was, quote, "So far as 6-strikes goes, I’d expect the CEO to commit seppuku before signing up to that."

I was just wondering what others think about the 6-strikes program, and what Sonic's opinion of it actually is.

-jat
by thulsa_doom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 am
I strongly doubt we'd ever participate in something like that unless explicitly compelled to by statute. There are ample legal options available already for content creators to assert their intellectual property rights.

As much as I'd love to get $35 from you, I don't think squeezing you over a copyright allegation is the right way to go about it. Much better to retain your business by providing a valuable service and charging a fair price.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Guest » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm
*wipes tear from eye*

I love you guys.

Seriously.
by Guest » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 pm
Yeah, this is great to hear. Thanks guys.
4 posts Page 1 of 1