QOS on ZyXEL P-663HN-51

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Parker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 am
Previously I was setup with a different modem + router combination, but a friend needed a router so I decided to use the all-in-one ZyXEL I have from back when I used bonded service.

So the problem I'm having is the ZyXEL comes to a halt when the upstream is saturated. I even tried playing with the QOS settings with no success. My previous setup I was able to tweak things to keep the connection usable. Anyone else have any experience with QOS settings on the P-663HN-51?
by cduran » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 am
Parker,
Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "comes to a halt"?

I don't have any experience with QoS on the Zyxel unit, but I can tell you that most backup and bittorrent clients (two common sources of upstream saturation) often have the option of limiting upstream transfer rate.
Chris Duran
by Parker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:41 pm
I mean that if I start uploading to FTP on my laptop, it makes the connection unusable for other computers on the network. Loading webpages is pretty much a no-go. I'd like to have a solution that is a little more dynamic than capping every program at half of my maximum upload speed.

The ZyXEL P-663HN-51 seems to have a lot of options for QOS, I just haven't quite figured out how to tweak it to my liking. I'm trying to make video streaming on my Roku priority 1, HTTP traffic priority 2, HTTPS (port 443) priority 3, and FTP priority 4. I've had good success with this using DD-WRT in the past, but I was wanting to stay with just one device for the network if possible.
by Parker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14 am
Ok, I've had good luck with these settings: http://i.imgur.com/Lx13YJG.jpg

I give my video streaming boxes (Roku and Bluray player) priority over everything else via their MAC addresses. Other rules are port based. Everything works well, and streaming nor browsing have been disrupted. We get usable speeds just over 4.5Mbps down and .8Mbps up and can now easily watch a Netflix HD stream while using our computers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1