intermittent outage in downtown SF?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by racerlupine » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:02 am
This is a recurring issue that's been going on for a couple of weeks at least. The connection will be stable for hours at a time, then it disconnects. It takes anything up to 10 minutes to reconnect, then it will disconnect again within a few minutes. That pattern repeats itself several times. Finally the connection will hold for a few hours, then the issue starts all over again. It seems to happen in the late evening and overnight, not so much during the day.

I've gone over the wiring in my room, nothing's changed since Sonic set me up a couple of years ago, it's all still solid. Unfortunately the wiring in the rest of the building is very sketchy indeed and I suspect the problem may be there.

But maybe not...?

thanks

RACER
by racerlupine » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:35 am
The issue continues.

Something else I noticed: My usual readings are 50k down / 10k up. However, when this issue is happening, it sometimes (not every time) reconnects at 50k down / 22k up. When it reconnects and stays connected it's back to 50k down / 10k up.

thanks

RACER
by dct » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:49 am
The fact that your line is retraining and obtaining sync at different speeds is interesting. Your line conditions are changing, and your modem is resyncing during this period at higher rates, which might not be stable long term, and results in resyncing later at a lower rate.

The best course of action would be to set a manual cap on your upstream, so regardless of the conditions and whether or not they change, your upstream stays consistent.

Give us a call or shoot me a PM when you'd like to have this done, as it will cause brief downtime (2-3 minutes).
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by racerlupine » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:39 am
Dan,

I PM'd you several days ago, haven't heard back. Here's a screenshot:

That up speed is a ringer. And the issue is still happening, albeit less often than before.

thanks

RACER
by Losing our Loyalty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm
Same problem here but little sympathy for you since our Fusion bitrate is literally one tenth of yours. Same lame solution proposed/implemented by Sonic, every time I call in a trouble ticket they cap our bandwidth even lower. We are now only being allowed a measly 5 MBs down and 0.7 up on each leg of the bonded DSL pair. We will be shopping around for better service if Sonic fails to improve soon, considering Monkeybrains but my gal is reluctant to give up the land line and rely on cell phones only.
by racerlupine » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:35 pm
LourL,

I can't comment on your situation but Sonic has always taken care of me and I expect nothing less this time.

RACER
by racerlupine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm
Just want to post an update: Dan reconfigured my modem today. So far, so good. I'll post another update in a day or three.

RACER
by Losing our Loyalty » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 pm
Took two techs and a couple of hours but the problem is fixed. Intermittency finally traced to a bad "green" cable, from the modem to the line conversion coupler. Our loyalty and faith in Sonic is restored.
by racerlupine » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 pm
Losing our Loyalty wrote:Took two techs and a couple of hours but the problem is fixed. Intermittency finally traced to a bad "green" cable, from the modem to the line conversion coupler. Our loyalty and faith in Sonic is restored.
That'd be the RJ11 cable. Glad to hear they got it sorted.

It's been about a day and a half since Dan reconfigured my modem, so far the intermittent outage issue is resolved. I've got a line logger running which proves that. Apparently it was the signal-to-noise ratio on my line, which doesn't surprise me. The wiring in this falling apart (literally) crappy (ew) old (119 years) building is a nightmare. It's a wonder it works at all.

RACER
by parker_day » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:02 am
racerlupine wrote:The wiring in this falling apart (literally) crappy (ew) old (119 years) building is a nightmare. It's a wonder it works at all.
One of the best things I did for my VDSL2 connection (like you) is run a new cable directly to the MPOE. My 105 year old building's wiring was already on the outside of the house and was really old. It was an hour long project and I got a nice speed boost out of it. No more random "weirdness" on the line. If it's an option for you, I highly recommend it.

Although, really, hopefully we'll all have fiber options someday soon.
12 posts Page 1 of 2