Fusion speed at 17,000 feet

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by DCDino » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 am
Hello Sonic,

I am a current AT&T voice (POTS) and DSL customer. I have the lowest speed tier 768/384 kbps. Here are some of my line stats for the G.DMT connection from the Motorola 2210-02 modem.

(Rx / Tx)
Rate 768 / 384
Attainable Rate 864 / 640
SNR Margin 7.0 / 13.0
Attenuation 63.0 / 31.0
Output Power 12.7 / 11.8

A typical speedtest.net result is 0.66Mb/s Down 0.32Mb/s Up.

According to your availability checker, I am about 17,175 feet from the CO. Last year in June your checker told me I was about 14,791 feet from the CO.

1) What kind of consistent and reliable speed do you think I could get with my line from Fusion? (I did see your charts.)

2) Do you support G.992.3 Annex L (Reach Extended ADSL2)? I'm wondering if that would give the best connection for my line.

3) How frictionless would the transition to Sonic/Fusion be with regard to downtime and coordinating when I need to do the equipment swap?

Thanks for your time.
by dane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 am
As to your first question, regarding performance - at 17,000ft, ADSL2+ does little if any better than ADSL1, so you should expect similar or only slightly better speed for downstream. Upload speed though should be quite a bit better, double or so.

Regarding Annex L ("long-range"), no, we do not at this time support Annex L. We can configure today for G.dmt (ADSL1), G.dmt2 (ADSL2), ADSL2+ Annex A (standard), and ADSL2+ Annex M (upstream priority).

The transition should be very easy, and result in just fifteen to twenty minutes of down-time. When switching from your current carrier over to Sonic.net's Fusion service, it's simply a move of the wire which goes to your home, from their equipment over to ours in the shared Central Office building. At the same time, we port over your telephone number.

You'd then plug in the equipment we provide, along with new filters and splitter if needed, and be up and running.

Hope you'll make the switch! It won't likely be a ton faster, but it's certainly a better value, and you get some extra goodies; an electronic fax line, a free domain name, free personal web hosting (w/Wordpress if you want it), a static IP, and much more.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1