replacements for 5268AC

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by racerlupine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:59 pm
Does anyone have experience using the Trendnet AC750? Or the TP-Link W9970? Both are said to support VDSL2.

thanks

RACER
by js9erfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 pm
I can confirm the Trendnet AC750 (TEW-816DRM) works with Fusion (installed one for a family member who has Sonic).

If I had to decide between the two, I'd take the TEW-816DRM over the TD-W9970 (802.11ac vs 802.11n) but neither would be my preferred WiFi access point unless I simply wanted to get rid of the modem rental fee.
by racerlupine » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm
js9erfan,

Thanks for your reply, this information is VERY helpful.

I can live with the rental fee but the Pace unit has WAY too many security leaks for my comfort. For example, I want to do MAC address filtering and the Pace has a bug in it that prevents that. Sonic has known about it for years but nothing has been done. It's a shame because Sonic is a first rate operation badly served by this crappy Pace unit.

RACER
by js9erfan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:18 pm
Well, MAC address filtering can be a false sense of security for some considering MACs are easily spoofed. Handy if you want to limit someone's internet time but otherwise..... eh.

If security is important, consider setting up a RADIUS server instead to authenticate WiFi clients but it really depends on how much time you want to put into it. At the very least WPA2-AES with a strong password is sufficient for most consumers.

Good luck 8-)
by racerlupine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 am
I have an AC750 on the way from Amazon, I'll top post my results with it when the time comes.

RACER
by willtull » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:22 pm
I finally had to buy my own Arris BGW210 because the 5268AC was not working properly and I was refused a replacement. The BGW210 fixed my issues immediately and was easy to set up.
by racerlupine » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:33 am
willtull wrote:I finally had to buy my own Arris BGW210 because the 5268AC was not working properly and I was refused a replacement. The BGW210 fixed my issues immediately and was easy to set up.
Okay thanks for the info. I just received the Trendnet from Amazon. When I set it up I'll check in.

RACER
by mpv » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 am
So, does Sonic now allow users to have their own modem and avoid the rental fee?
by danielg4 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm
At locations served by a Sonic line, yes. At locations served by an AT&T line, no.
by lasevich » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 pm
danielg4 wrote:At locations served by a Sonic line, yes. At locations served by an AT&T line, no.
How does one tell if it is AT&T vs Sonic line? Do you mean who provides the phone service or who provides the physical wiring?

I would LOVE to get rid of the PACE modem, as besides all other headaches, it now dies and requires a reboot on a regular basis (like every week or two at this point)

I really do not need any wifi or security features (I have my own gear behind it, I just need it in bridge mode) - so if I can just buy one that works it would be awesome, but last I checked that was not an option....

So, if I can replace it - what brands/models (esp simple modems) are supported?
11 posts Page 1 of 2