Plans for fiber in down Santa Clara area?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by bru » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:57 pm
I just moved from western SJ (that had Sonic/AT&T fiber) into a house near downtown santa clara (N Winchester Blvd). Any plans to bring fiber there? There are raised poles behind the house.

Comcast is destroying my will to live. Please send help.
by SCMike » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:22 am
I call every year to see if they are coming to 95050. Its so odd that fiber is going in all around the area but here where we have a city owned dark fiber network there is no movement from anyone. The dark fiber should make it easier for Sonic to come in unless I am missing something.
by dane » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:16 pm
SCMike wrote:I call every year to see if they are coming to 95050. Its so odd that fiber is going in all around the area but here where we have a city owned dark fiber network there is no movement from anyone. The dark fiber should make it easier for Sonic to come in unless I am missing something.
Unless the City dark fiber goes to every home, I don't see how it would help at all.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ontheedge » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 pm
ATT fiber through Sonic is available for 95050. Try calling Sonic sales if the availability tool doesn't show it. Actually had very good experience with the install and service. Much better speed than my old fusion line. The only complaint is that the ATT bgw210 modem port passthrough doesn't work properly so the kids have some trouble hosting some games.

see posts in the forum/general section at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9870
by admun » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:08 pm
ontheedge wrote:ATT fiber through Sonic is available for 95050. Try calling Sonic sales if the availability tool doesn't show it. Actually had very good experience with the install and service. Much better speed than my old fusion line. The only complaint is that the ATT bgw210 modem port passthrough doesn't work properly so the kids have some trouble hosting some games.

see posts in the forum/general section at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9870
So, you are able to get ATT fiber through Sonic in 95050? I am there too, on Monroe.... would love to upgrade from fusion.

Just ping'd CS, but they say nothing upgradable for me....
by ontheedge » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 pm
95050 on tail end of Jackson St. My house is near a pole so it was fairly easy for ATT to pull the line. So far, so good. I had to call Sales to get Sonic to change my service to the ATT resold service.
by admun » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:23 pm
good to know, thanks....

One problem is our condo is not right by the road.... not sure how they run connection to each unit.....

Hope ATT expending to my side of 95050 and can do resale as well in the future
by leeep » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 pm
I'm still stuck on Fusion X1 here in 95050 because there is apparently no way to tap into even the FTTN service that the next complex has access to... location matters.

The best i can hope for is to go ahead and upgrade to Fusion X2, but man... $70/month is a fortune for service that doesn't even still count as "broadband" by modern standards.

Reminds me of being on a 9600 baud modem in college when all the cool kids had 14.4k modems... :cry:
---
...on Sonic.net since 2011...
by IrishMASMS » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:35 pm
Chiming in here on this topic as well - AT&TY installed fiber on Benton street last spring. I have been calling Sonic to upgrade my DSL to fiber since 2018, no dice. Support keeps telling me fiber is not available.

Another forum thread says it is available. So what is the story?
by IrishMASMS » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:05 pm
Though I have been tempted to pay Santa Clara Power to get their fiber line near me ran to the house and lit up, the better half would kill me.
13 posts Page 1 of 2