Recommendation for back-up modem for Fusion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by timoteo7 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 pm
My Sonic Fusion service is working splendidly (knock on wood), but past experience with other DSL and cable services suggests that a back-up modem is a good investment. If the connection goes south, I'll have something I can plug in for troubleshooting.

I'm now using the ZTE 831 II, which Sonic supplied. I'll be happy to buy another one of these directly from Sonic -- I can't find 'em anywhere else -- but also would happily consider a substitute from Newegg or another retailer.

Suggestions, anyone?
by zbarr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 pm
sonic provides free test modems for a month to trouble shoot issues, or even fill in for a broken one while you procure a new unit. (that reminds me, I have to return my loaner...)

sonic will ship them, or if you are near Santa Rosa, you can stop by their office and pick one up.
by timoteo7 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 pm
Well, I'd like to own the back-up modem. I could flush as much as $50 if I never have to use it, which I'm not too keen about, but my years online suggest it's a good investment.
by thulsa_doom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 pm
timoteo7 wrote:Well, I'd like to own the back-up modem. I could flush as much as $50 if I never have to use it, which I'm not too keen about, but my years online suggest it's a good investment.
We'd be happy to sell you another one. We try to avoid recommending specific modems from other sources, as we don't want to play favorites and cannot always support their gear as well as we can our own. We've found that most modems recently sold for use with AT&T ADSL1 service are also adequate ADSL2+ devices. You'd just need to disable PPPoE.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by polpo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:22 pm
Fry's sells a TP-Link ADLS2+ modem for $29.99. I used one on a Fusion line a while ago and it worked fine. Looks like Amazon has it for $27.40. It's the cheapest ADSL2+ modem that I've seen sold at retail.
by timoteo7 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 pm
Thanks, thulsadoom and polpo, for writing. I did wind up ordering a back-up directly from Sonic. It arrived today and was deployed promptly to a shelf in the basement closet.

My hope is that my Fusion service never goes kaput, that I never have to take it out of the box for troubleshooting and that it turns out to be a waste of money. That's what I hope, anyway ...
by tjj » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 pm
One of the few times that you hope for a waste of money.... lol
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
7 posts Page 1 of 1