Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 183 of 191
by danm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm
Yeah, I’ve been in contact with the MDU team and Dane @ Sonic directly - just a bit of a waiting game now. :)
by danm » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm
Although now, when I search my address - the "Check Availability" system doesn't seem to find my address as valid at all anymore. Maybe I'm too pushy, and the system hates me now :LUL: :D
by larns576 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:21 pm
I've read somewhere that once they skip an area they dont usually go back to finish it up.
by Eternal Hope » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pm
So,

25 years ago Pacific Bell offered DSL to our area, albeit at 700 kps(we're more than 12,000 ft. to the CO.
8 years ago, Uverse finally made it(4 years late from promised)
Today we can get 20mbs from Sonic and "ATT".

When will we get gigabit? We are the three blocks that has underground wiring(owned by ATT).

My guess is never and that is pretty depressing.
Former Pacific Bell employee - maybe my children's children will get gigabit...
by dane » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am
Eternal Hope wrote:So,

25 years ago Pacific Bell offered DSL to our area, albeit at 700 kps(we're more than 12,000 ft. to the CO.
8 years ago, Uverse finally made it(4 years late from promised)
Today we can get 20mbs from Sonic and "ATT".

When will we get gigabit? We are the three blocks that has underground wiring(owned by ATT).

My guess is never and that is pretty depressing.
Former Pacific Bell employee - maybe my children's children will get gigabit...
If you've got underground-served utilities, I'm afraid you're out of luck. SF does not currently allow new utility construction using trenchless methods, so it's not practical for any new entity to place conduit in the ground. Perhaps AT&T or Comcast might upgrade their services to fiber someday, or you might get some future wireless product that'd be faster, but Sonic doesn't have a way that we could reach you with fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by BejoyManna » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:36 pm
Any chance of getting upgraded to fiber in the presidio? Loads of non profits, environmentalists and engineers here who would love to be on Sonic but need better speed. I am on 3-7 Mbps for the last couple years and too far from the CO for better speeds...
by bbb » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:03 am
I just noticed availability of 1000 Mbps fiber on Rivera St in the Sunset (between 19th and Sunset) on the availability page! Progress!
by Eternal Hope » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:36 pm
What's so frustrating is I am 3 houses from the corner and the first house around the corner gets Gigabit because their service is above ground.

What I don't get is Comcast service comes to us from OVERHEAD pole lines. ATT phone service is via underground trench. Why can't Sonic use the same poles as Comcast???
by ahtam622 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:48 pm
Rather than creating a new thread on Fiber service availability in San Francisco..I'm hoping I can ask here if the area of 94134 will have Sonic Fiber any time soon? The intersection i'm looking at is Barnevald Ave. and Rickard Street?
by timyu94 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 pm
dane wrote: Perhaps AT&T or Comcast might upgrade their services to fiber someday, or you might get some future wireless product that'd be faster, but Sonic doesn't have a way that we could reach you with fiber.
If I must suggest, maybe Sonic should look into something like WPON for getting last mile service to customers that can't feasibly get FTTH for one reason or another?

https://networks.nokia.com/solutions/wireless-PON
1909 posts Page 183 of 191