Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 182 of 191
by czardmitri » Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm
Any word yet on Inner Sunset homes served from the rear (the rear lines themselves being served from east/west streets)? Specifically east side of 17th Ave between Pacheco and Quintara?

Thanks
by rowenas.wu » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:11 pm
So disappointed.... I signed up for Sonic fiber internet after receiving a flyer in my mailbox announcing availability in my area. Technician just called and left a message saying that my order will be cancelled due to unstable telephone pole outside. We are at the 28th Avenue/California Street block. Has anyone experienced this before? Does Sonic contact PG&E to fix the pole eventually?
by steelgaze » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:28 pm
rowenas.wu wrote:So disappointed.... I signed up for Sonic fiber internet after receiving a flyer in my mailbox announcing availability in my area. Technician just called and left a message saying that my order will be cancelled due to unstable telephone pole outside. We are at the 28th Avenue/California Street block. Has anyone experienced this before? Does Sonic contact PG&E to fix the pole eventually?
Eventually the pole will be replaced, but can take a few years.
by cdrayson » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 pm
PG&E will be replacing a pole near us, which will involve a disruption in power. Will this trigger an extended downtime for fiber, or should it be back up when the power comes back on?
by danm » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 am
So, I just got a call from Maddie in sales, telling me that the construction crew finally came out to my area (California St. near 8th ave) and the PG&E poles are marked as "reinforcement" and need updates from them before Sonic can build out, and my order has been cancelled.

Are there any resources with PG&E to see if there is any sort of timeline for this repair? It's just frustrating that I've been waiting 2+ years for this, and finally got my building manager approval for all of the install - only to be stopped by THIS.

UGH.
by danm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 pm
Following up to this situation - we've filed a CPUC complaint since we can not get any additional information from ANYONE. We have noticed that there are utility workers doing something to the poles (the one affecting me across the street, and a few others on the block) in the middle of the night - and they have seemingly done "something" since the poles are now stripped of any debris, and the little pink ribbon / flags are now gone from the poles.

Is there any resource to get an update on the status of these utility poles? I know its wishful thinking that my situation might be fixed within the next 10 years, but it would be good to keep checking... :) @dane or anyone in support have information?
by dane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 pm
Did they add metal reinforcements to the bottom of them? If so, what’re the addresses nearest each pole?

We are not informed when a pole is reinforced.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:19 pm
dane wrote:Did they add metal reinforcements to the bottom of them? If so, what’re the addresses nearest each pole?

We are not informed when a pole is reinforced.
Hrm, doesn't seem to be reinforced at all. They cleaned up all around it, and took a bunch of stuff that was stapled to the pole away. It used to have this pink plastic ribbon / flag wrapped around it as some sort of designator, but its gone:

So, probably just getting my hopes up based on me seeing people doing weird middle of the night work on these things. :)

(The building right behind that pole is 4549 California St, SF, 94118)
by danm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 pm
An update, for anyone following - after about a month and a half after finding out Sonic couldn’t build out my location because a utility pole was marked as needing “reinforcement”, the utility company has completed the necessary work!

Had to call / email PG&E about 10 times, as well as file a CPUC complaint form online.

Now I just have to wait until Sonic can get the permits needed to build out. Not sure how long that process takes though.
by cdrayson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:32 pm
That's great news! Sonic doesn't get notified of this, so you may want to post it's location, or call them with the info.
1909 posts Page 182 of 191