Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 178 of 191
by randyw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:57 pm
Is there any coordination going on with the Van Ness BRT construction? There are lots of huge apartment buildings - and I know they are putting in almost all new utilities.
by Liparz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 pm
Any time estimates as to when I could ditch Comcast for a sweet gig pipe from Sonic?
by lymanj888 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 pm
Hi Dane,

I'm dissapointed that I'm unable to get fiber at my house. I had my Sonic installer contact the plant manager for the reason. Just some background, I'm on Church Street in Noe Valley. Fiber is available but for some reason, they are unable to pull the wires from the PG&E pole (where the fiber and electrial lines run) across the street above the Muni lines to the pole in front of my house

Here's the plant manager's response:
The pole is not high enough to clear the muni lines and does not high enough to clear GO95. My question if Xfinity is able to pull their lines over which runs above the muni electrical lines to the pole in front of my hosue, why can't Sonic? Don't they run the same height? Anything that can be done to correct the deficiency?
by steelgaze » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 pm
randyw wrote:Is there any coordination going on with the Van Ness BRT construction? There are lots of huge apartment buildings - and I know they are putting in almost all new utilities.
BRT was in the planning a decade ago so probably not.
BRT mostly touches the middle of the street too, which isnt useful for utility deployment.
by dane » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:46 pm
lymanj888 wrote:Hi Dane,

I'm dissapointed that I'm unable to get fiber at my house. I had my Sonic installer contact the plant manager for the reason. Just some background, I'm on Church Street in Noe Valley. Fiber is available but for some reason, they are unable to pull the wires from the PG&E pole (where the fiber and electrial lines run) across the street above the Muni lines to the pole in front of my house

Here's the plant manager's response:
The pole is not high enough to clear the muni lines and does not high enough to clear GO95. My question if Xfinity is able to pull their lines over which runs above the muni electrical lines to the pole in front of my hosue, why can't Sonic? Don't they run the same height? Anything that can be done to correct the deficiency?
I don't think this is the reason we cannot reach your home. We do not have fiber on the poles on Church street, because they are all overloaded at this time, so we cannot place anything new on them. Until PG&E replaces or reinforces those poles, we cannot build fiber there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mrflibble24 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:59 am
Hi Dane,

Still waiting for the day when I can get fiber to the door on mid-block on the East-West streets in the Sunset (i.e., the named streets - Irving, Judah, Kirkham...etc). It's always frustrating to see the Sonic trucks installing FTTD on the numbered avenues less that a 1/2 a block from my house and still be unable to get FTTD service where I live.

Anything that we can do to speed up this process? I've heard that micro-trenching could be a possibility. I'd be happy to start nagging my Supe on this issue if it would help. I've had AT&T fiber to node and the service was horrendous, so I'm not too keen to go back to that.

Thanks!
by steelgaze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm
Most streets don't require micro trenching unless it has undergrounded utilities.

W/E streets were skipped because of the lower profit potential. The only thing that would require microtrenching in the western part of the city is because of SFMTA work that undergrounded the lines years ago, special undergrounded sections that are a few blocks here and there, or maybe even backyard poles.
by dane » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 pm
In many areas of Western SF we have gotten enough, or close to enough customers to justify the East/West streets build-out. The main thing you can do to help is encourage neighbors who CAN get the existing service to adopt it, that's what creates the financial capability to deploy to the less dense portion of the neighborhood.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pamdemonia » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:23 pm
Hi. I'm in the Excelsior (Silver just off Mission) and am 5000+ feet away from my CO. There are snow shoes on our poles (put in by ATT I'm pretty sure) and I am curious what you guys would need to add our neighborhood to your plans.

I love you guys for so many reasons, but the speed of my broadband is not one of them!

Thanks
by username » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 pm
Hi,

Just wondering what the status was for Woodward Street, between Mission & Valencia and Duboce & 14th? I noticed there was a permit filed for it back in February, but it's still not available for pre-order.

Thanks
1909 posts Page 178 of 191