Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 2 of 191
by doug » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm
jshaver wrote:This is a bit of a tangent, but I noticed two painted utility boxes at Church and Duboce (not my picture): http://sf.streetsblog.org/wp-content/up ... C_9732.jpg

Depending on their size, this could be a fun thing to do with the Sonic boxes.

I have no idea what it would take, nor do I mean to complicate things further. It just struck me as a nice touch that might also make people feel better about adding boxes.
I see that (un)Clear Channel installed a "bus stop" as part of the transit modification that happened there so that they could pollute us with more ads. I think those need some wheatpasting.

I'll also agree and say that it would be a welcome change is Sonic got artistic with any utility boxes that end up being installed as part of a fiber roll out.
by speedman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:26 am
dane wrote:
speedman wrote:Its 2013, any news on sonic's fiber plans for san franicsco?
I'm in the sunset area and have dual bonded fusion but i don't get near the advertised 40mbps speeds.

I seriously neeeeed that 1gbps pipe! :)
Someone objected to the installation, so I believe the next step is a public hearing. We're waiting on that scheduling now.
Do you know who objected? Some of us will be more than happy to "take care" of that. LOL

Like many have said, I too will be more than happy to attend the public hearing.
by speedman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:31 am
Theo wrote: But given the delays, which must cost a bundle, I would think the cause for independent/muni FTTH would be greatly served if there were overflow crowds on the "yes" side showing up to these public hearings, enough to get media coverage. Make some noise! Carry signs! Be heard! Make it more than just a Sonic issue.
This gives me an idea: SF Bike Party + Critical Mass + SF FTTH Movment? That should grab some attention?
by wa2ibm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm
jshaver wrote:This is a bit of a tangent, but I noticed two painted utility boxes at Church and Duboce...
There are a number of treatments for utility boxes. Here's one in San Jose for an AT&T Box:
Utility_Cheesesteak_Front.jpg
Utility_Cheesesteak_Front.jpg (51.03 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
Utility_Cheesesteak_Side.jpg
Utility_Cheesesteak_Side.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 11172 times
by tbeutel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm
I'll be glad to go to the meeting to. Please let us know when.
by dane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 pm
tbeutel wrote:I'll be glad to go to the meeting to. Please let us know when.
Will do!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by xox » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 am
Regardless of the hearing, are we talking years, rather than months, before NoPa/Western Addition will see fiber?
by guest pete » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 pm
xox wrote:Regardless of the hearing, are we talking years, rather than months, before NoPa/Western Addition will see fiber?
This is San Francisco. It will take years.
by dane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm
xox wrote:Regardless of the hearing, are we talking years, rather than months, before NoPa/Western Addition will see fiber?
Yes. We've been working toward the first 2,000 home pilot, in the Outer Sunset, for a long time now. Expanded access is not going to happen rapidly.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by black98fxstc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 pm
sbrudenell wrote:dane: please make sure to let users know about any public hearings. as a San Francisco resident, i'd gladly attend, and i'm sure others would as well.
Me too. The planning commission really responds if you get a big turnout and I'd be very willing to show up.
1909 posts Page 2 of 191