Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 7 of 191
by bbusby » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 pm
And, if you can say, what was the outcome of the hearing?
by dane » Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 pm
bbusby wrote:And, if you can say, what was the outcome of the hearing?
The person who lodged the complaint about the surface mounted facility (cabinet) did not come to the hearing. And, two of our customers did, which was much appreciated. The department of public works also received a few emails from customers expressing support too.

The alternative locations are poor; one doesn't offer adequate clearances under ADA, another would require trenching up a street which was just resurfaced and under a five year moratorium, and the third presents a vision obstruction near an intersection. For all of these reasons, and the participation (or lack of participation), I'm hopeful that this will be approved.

We will now await communication from DPW on their decision.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu May 09, 2013 12:13 am
dane wrote:[...]
For all of these reasons, and the participation (or lack of participation), I'm hopeful that this will be approved.

We will now await communication from DPW on their decision.
Do you know when the DPW will give their decision? It's pretty obvious you've done due diligence on this matter. I wonder if it's the ILECs just messing with Sonic.
by dane » Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 am
No, we don't know how quickly DPW makes their determination. We're standing by now.

I don't believe the ILEC cares - this objection came from someone who worked at the business we'll be placing the cabinet in front of, and it was a legitimate concern.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu May 09, 2013 4:30 pm
Thanks Dane for adding more context as well as willing to give the other side's perspective.

Regards.
by TVo » Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 am
As an internet technology expert, I support fiber to the home. This is the future of broadband access. US is so far behind other countries. Is there a petition to sign to support Sonic fiber roll out?
by bbusby » Fri May 10, 2013 5:34 pm
Ah -- if it's a signage occlusion problem (that's what comes to mind looking at what I think is the right place in the street), would it be possible to fit a moveable-letter signboard to the S-facing side of the box? Even were the application approval made final, it might be a grand, relatively low-cost gesture of good will. As a plus, taggers are likely to leave such a thing alone.
by John Barker » Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 am
AT&T has been doing a lot of work in my neighborhood lately, digging up the street and installing new (and working on what appears to be old) gray boxes on the sidewalk. Is this at all related to the fiber rollout in the outer sunset?
by dane » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 pm
John Barker wrote:AT&T has been doing a lot of work in my neighborhood lately, digging up the street and installing new (and working on what appears to be old) gray boxes on the sidewalk. Is this at all related to the fiber rollout in the outer sunset?
Nope, that would be AT&T installing their new DSL U-Verse service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by John Barker » Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 pm
dane wrote:
John Barker wrote:AT&T has been doing a lot of work in my neighborhood lately, digging up the street and installing new (and working on what appears to be old) gray boxes on the sidewalk. Is this at all related to the fiber rollout in the outer sunset?
Nope, that would be AT&T installing their new DSL U-Verse service.
That's disappointing. Does this however pave way or mean that Sonic's fiber rollout here will soon be underway?
1909 posts Page 7 of 191