Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, FTTN and Gigabit Fiber!
1825 posts Page 1 of 183
by speedman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 pm
Its 2013, any news on sonic's fiber plans for san franicsco?
I'm in the sunset area and have dual bonded fusion but i don't get near the advertised 40mbps speeds.

I seriously neeeeed that 1gbps pipe! :)
by dane » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:10 pm
speedman wrote:
Its 2013, any news on sonic's fiber plans for san franicsco?
I'm in the sunset area and have dual bonded fusion but i don't get near the advertised 40mbps speeds.

I seriously neeeeed that 1gbps pipe! :)


Someone objected to the installation, so I believe the next step is a public hearing. We're waiting on that scheduling now.
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic
by paulgreen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 am
Welcome to the world of San Francisco Planning --- my guess is that a hearing will be scheduled 2 -3 months from now. And then there are possibilities of appeals, and appeals to the Board of Supervisors etc. A determined person could cause a delay for >1 year : - (
by aw » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 am
dane wrote:
Someone objected to the installation


Let me guess - They saw you also offer "Fusion" and "Fusion" = Radiation = Cancer?
:roll:
by sbrudenell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm
dane: please make sure to let users know about any public hearings. as a San Francisco resident, i'd gladly attend, and i'm sure others would as well.
by bbmak » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm
dane wrote:
speedman wrote:
Its 2013, any news on sonic's fiber plans for san franicsco?
I'm in the sunset area and have dual bonded fusion but i don't get near the advertised 40mbps speeds.

I seriously neeeeed that 1gbps pipe! :)


Someone objected to the installation, so I believe the next step is a public hearing. We're waiting on that scheduling now.


I guess; it probably the AT&T or other ISP providers who object the installation. They probably do not want Sonic to get ahead of them.

I am fully supporting Sonic on the fiber installation for pushing the technology in San Francisco. In fact, for being the most advanced city of the world, San Francisco is already behind other Asia cities where already have fiber few years ago.
by tfw no fiber » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 am
sbrudenell wrote:
dane: please make sure to let users know about any public hearings. as a San Francisco resident, i'd gladly attend, and i'm sure others would as well.


This. I'd gladly show up to the meeting. I live in the Lakeshore District and I 'm stuck with Sonic.net legacy DSL. This whole process in SF is ridiculous. If this takes any longer I'm seriously considering going back to Comcast.
by Theo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am
bbmak wrote:
dane wrote:
speedman wrote:
Its 2013, any news on sonic's fiber plans for san franicsco?
I'm in the sunset area and have dual bonded fusion but i don't get near the advertised 40mbps speeds.

I seriously neeeeed that 1gbps pipe! :)


Someone objected to the installation, so I believe the next step is a public hearing. We're waiting on that scheduling now.


I guess; it probably the AT&T or other ISP providers who object the installation. They probably do not want Sonic to get ahead of them.

I am fully supporting Sonic on the fiber installation for pushing the technology in San Francisco. In fact, for being the most advanced city of the world, San Francisco is already behind other Asia cities where already have fiber few years ago.


Don't be so cynical. AT&T isn't swift enough to run an astroturf campaign against Sonic Fiber, and I doubt highly that the remaining "other" ISPs that are still in business are so petty.

But given the delays, which must cost a bundle, I would think the cause for independent/muni FTTH would be greatly served if there were overflow crowds on the "yes" side showing up to these public hearings, enough to get media coverage. Make some noise! Carry signs! Be heard! Make it more than just a Sonic issue.
by jshaver » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm
This is a bit of a tangent, but I noticed two painted utility boxes at Church and Duboce (not my picture): http://sf.streetsblog.org/wp-content/up ... C_9732.jpg

Depending on their size, this could be a fun thing to do with the Sonic boxes.

I have no idea what it would take, nor do I mean to complicate things further. It just struck me as a nice touch that might also make people feel better about adding boxes.
by Michael » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 pm
Is there any mailing list I could subscribe to to stay informed about public meeting and other fiber related stuff in San Francisco? I am not a sonic.net customer any more (moved to Mission Bay which is AT&T's exclusive FTTH) and thus I don't have a username for the forum any more!
Subscribing to the RSS feed also is not an option, as the feed is for the whole forum. However, I would like to stay informed about fiber in SF so I might even be able to attend hearings and/or let friends know about it!
1825 posts Page 1 of 183

Who is online

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 422 on Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests