Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 189 of 191
by jamespark » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 pm
PGE sent me a notice that they are going to replace the electric power pole @ 3998 18th St, San Francisco between Wednesday, Feb 27 9pm - Thursday, Feb 28, 6am, during which there will be an interruption of power service. Does that mean Sonic fiber soon to follow?
by danm » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm
PGE sent me a notice that they are going to replace the electric power pole @ 3998 18th St, San Francisco between Wednesday, Feb 27 9pm - Thursday, Feb 28, 6am, during which there will be an interruption of power service. Does that mean Sonic fiber soon to follow?
I wouldn't hold your breath for "soon" ... City of San Francisco is so bogged down with these engineering approvals. If Sonic has to resubmit the requests for the city, it could take 18 months.

I had the utility pole that WOULD have served my apartment reinforced in August 2018, and was told by Sonic that it could be 6-12 months before they could come back to the neighborhood and build out this one section. Even now, if I check the Availability site, it won't even resolve my apartment address (doesn't think it exists) ... :-\

I wish there was some way to see where this work was in the engineering queue ;-)
by xeronz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:54 pm
27th between Castro and Noe.. any chance? :(
by joekitch » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm
just got a sonic-fiber-coming-to-your-neighborhood email, i live on the corner of pierce st and sutter st, right in lower pacific heights and right next to UCSF mount zion....

i'm extremely excited, but also confused
i thought microtrenching was REQUIRED to get fiber to my location, and that micro trenching was still basically banned, what changed?
by Roneeta » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am
Can I Sonic fibre on my street. I live on Church St by 20th (94114) San Francisco
by pbar » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:23 pm
I live on Juri St in the Mission... we regularly get Sonic fiber flyers through the door, and I see installer vans all the time. I would pay (almost) anything to be shot of Comcast.

However, when I check availability for my house I only get offered DSL at $40/mo. When I change my address to the house 2 doors away I get offered Gigabit fiber.

*Surely* there is a way to make it stretch the extra 30ft?!!
by filmyer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:16 pm
Dane - I've seen that fiber is available on 18th St east of Dolores. Any information on availability between Church and Castro?
by dane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am
Joek wrote:It's been a hot minutes since SF announced an attitude change on micro trenching in the city, which would allow for non-prohibitive cost to run fiber lines.
Joe, do you have info on this that we do not? It's our understanding that microtrenching is not possible in SF at this time. And while new standards were under discussion, they were not useful, at least as we saw them in draft form.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joekitch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:48 pm
dane wrote:
Joek wrote:It's been a hot minutes since SF announced an attitude change on micro trenching in the city, which would allow for non-prohibitive cost to run fiber lines.
Joe, do you have info on this that we do not? It's our understanding that microtrenching is not possible in SF at this time. And while new standards were under discussion, they were not useful, at least as we saw them in draft form.
oh, i'm just assuming that if you guys are coming to something like lower pacific heights, that you must be microtrenching
but if you aren't, are you piggybacking on AT&T's fiber? are you running fiber along the telephone poles? Very confused
by Larns576 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 pm
It looks like Pierce St has poles but Sutter does not. If you live on Sutter, perhaps the flyer was given to the wrong house? I would double check availability on Sonic's website just to be sure.

If poles are available, I dont see why they would bother microtrenching. The blocks w/o poles or have bad/overloaded poles will just be skipped.
1909 posts Page 189 of 191