Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 187 of 191
by dane » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 am
Allen wrote:Yes, they hung notices all over the block about pre-ordering...in July. Currently extremely dissatisfied with how this pre-order business is going.
If you have a pre-order pending, and there has been any delay, you'll get an email notice. We did a pretty comprehensive update a month or so ago, and we'll be continuing those newsletter style updates with more info, photos, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Missionhoa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 am
Sonic needs to change their practice of enticing customers with the “expectation” fiber is coming or available to them. When one goes to their site and onto the fiber tab to check availability it returns with “Sonic is available” which is great except the customer is thinking they are in the fiber section so they assume fiber is available when in reality it’s basically DSL that’s never achieved the promised 80 mbs as stated and paid for.
I just did another speed check and as is the norm 18 down and 20 up.
We were told fiber was coming this way both by customer service and the tech that did the install. Now we’re told it doesn’t look like it will ever happen. I’m personally paying more now for Internet (on a good day, 50 mbs) and phone (which I don’t need or want) than I did with Comcast with 150 mbs and basic TV.
Finally why when i check availability now it states the Sonic is available and would be using AT&T fiber nodes for connection. Fiber nodes, doesn’t that sound like fiber is available??
by Larns576 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 pm
http://bfy.tw/LZsR

Kinda old school but there's your answer
by greenhauler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 pm
Missionhoa wrote:Sonic needs to change their practice of enticing customers with the “expectation” fiber is coming or available to them. When one goes to their site and onto the fiber tab to check availability it returns with “Sonic is available” which is great except the customer is thinking they are in the fiber section so they assume fiber is available when in reality it’s basically DSL that’s never achieved the promised 80 mbs as stated and paid for.
I just did another speed check and as is the norm 18 down and 20 up.
We were told fiber was coming this way both by customer service and the tech that did the install. Now we’re told it doesn’t look like it will ever happen. I’m personally paying more now for Internet (on a good day, 50 mbs) and phone (which I don’t need or want) than I did with Comcast with 150 mbs and basic TV.
Finally why when i check availability now it states the Sonic is available and would be using AT&T fiber nodes for connection. Fiber nodes, doesn’t that sound like fiber is available??

Yeah, if you're unable to get Sonic's fiber, you may be spending a premium for DSL.
by metaomni » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 pm
Hi dane / all -- is there a timeline for potential expansion in the Corona Heights / upper Market area in SF? I'm on States Street near Castro. Thanks!
by jrod » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Finally got fiber connected to my house last week. It quickly became evident that my pfsense router/firewall box with an Intel Atom D525 was not up to the task of dealing with 1Gb of throughput. So I rebuilt my router on newer hardware and am now getting a solid 860Mb down / 930Mb up in the middle of the day (speedtest.net).

Thank you Sonic for helping me finally join the 21st century internet! :)
by pgooiker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi Dane, long time customer here on Fulton Street, San Francisco between Divisadero and Masonic. We have utility poles. Any updates on when we can expect fiber roll out?

Just updated to the new 75mb speed. It definitely helps while we wait on that fiber goodness and after 6 years we're hoping you'll come this way soon! :)
by dane » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:01 pm
pgooiker wrote:Hi Dane, long time customer here on Fulton Street, San Francisco between Divisadero and Masonic. We have utility poles. Any updates on when we can expect fiber roll out?

Just updated to the new 75mb speed. It definitely helps while we wait on that fiber goodness and after 6 years we're hoping you'll come this way soon! :)
We are continuing our expansion in SF, but I don't have any specifics for your region at this time, sorry!

One way you can help: tell others about Sonic fiber - the more subscribers, the better the business case and the faster we expand!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Jon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pm
Any updates on possible fiber service on 15th between Church and Dolores? Would love to switch to modern service from DSL... Thanks!
by RaphL » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:04 pm
Message for Dane:

I saw your posting about overloaded utility poles on 18th Street in the Mission in San Francisco, and decided to work with the CPUC to get the poles replaced. It worked!

They are scheduled for replacement on Feb 26, and I hope this means that Sonic will soon be able to offer fiber on the block between Valencia and Guerrero Streets.

Wanted to give you a public heads up in case CPUC or PGE have not communicated with Sonic about these poles being imminently replaced. Would be great if we could get an update on the likely ETA for fiber now (or soon).

All the best,
RL
1909 posts Page 187 of 191