Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 184 of 191
by dane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 pm
Eternal Hope wrote:What's so frustrating is I am 3 houses from the corner and the first house around the corner gets Gigabit because their service is above ground.

What I don't get is Comcast service comes to us from OVERHEAD pole lines. ATT phone service is via underground trench. Why can't Sonic use the same poles as Comcast???
We'd be happy to give that a look, send over address? You can guess my email address, pretty much anything you'd guess will work. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:11 pm
BejoyManna wrote:Any chance of getting upgraded to fiber in the presidio? Loads of non profits, environmentalists and engineers here who would love to be on Sonic but need better speed. I am on 3-7 Mbps for the last couple years and too far from the CO for better speeds...
Are you a business or a residence there? Write me via email, I'd love to learn more.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danm » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:33 pm
danm wrote:Although now, when I search my address - the "Check Availability" system doesn't seem to find my address as valid at all anymore. Maybe I'm too pushy, and the system hates me now :LUL: :D
Hey Dane and crew, you ever get any update to my situation - now that I got them to reinforce the utility pole and my address is no longer in the engineering “check availability” system? I know it’s been about a month ;)

~Dan
by dane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:36 pm
danm wrote:
danm wrote:Although now, when I search my address - the "Check Availability" system doesn't seem to find my address as valid at all anymore. Maybe I'm too pushy, and the system hates me now :LUL: :D
Hey Dane and crew, you ever get any update to my situation - now that I got them to reinforce the utility pole and my address is no longer in the engineering “check availability” system? I know it’s been about a month ;)

~Dan
Best bet to push that along would be to email me, so I can rope in engineering for status and keep you informed.

But that said, when a region has a blown pole that precludes us building, and that pole is later reinforced, it's a 12-18 month cycle to engineer, apply, and build - just like the initial build. We can't just pop on over a month or two later and build it, we've got to do the same process for a new addition as the initial build-out: survey and engineering, applications, permits, materials, construction, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm
dane wrote: Best bet to push that along would be to email me, so I can rope in engineering for status and keep you informed.

But that said, when a region has a blown pole that precludes us building, and that pole is later reinforced, it's a 12-18 month cycle to engineer, apply, and build - just like the initial build. We can't just pop on over a month or two later and build it, we've got to do the same process for a new addition as the initial build-out: survey and engineering, applications, permits, materials, construction, etc.
Sent you over an email. Thanks for chatting with me on this. :)

~Dan
by anandman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm
I live on 18th Street, the 3600 block between Guerrero and Dolores, and have been eagerly awaiting fiber service here or years. Was a Sonic customer for many, many years but finally switched to MonkeyBrains to get something better than DSL but they’re frustrating me with their spotty ping times and slow customer service response times. I would love to come back to Sonic. Any updates on when it’s coming to this block? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? It’s been available on 19th Street for a few years now and Sonic got the permit a while back according to the map on Github.
by dane » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 am
anandman wrote:I live on 18th Street, the 3600 block between Guerrero and Dolores, and have been eagerly awaiting fiber service here or years. Was a Sonic customer for many, many years but finally switched to MonkeyBrains to get something better than DSL but they’re frustrating me with their spotty ping times and slow customer service response times. I would love to come back to Sonic. Any updates on when it’s coming to this block? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? It’s been available on 19th Street for a few years now and Sonic got the permit a while back according to the map on Github.
There are three overloaded utility poles on 18th St, and until those are replaced it isn't possible for us or any other new carrier to deploy fiber optics to reach residents there. Sorry!

You could ask the CPUC about the overloaded poles, in regards to when they will be finally replaced.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by richk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 am
I am on the first block of San Benito (address under 100). I realize that this is a low density area and would not be the highest priority, but is there any guess as to if or when? Phone service now is FTTN, underground.
by dane » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:54 am
richk wrote:I am on the first block of San Benito (address under 100). I realize that this is a low density area and would not be the highest priority, but is there any guess as to if or when? Phone service now is FTTN, underground.
If your utilities are served underground, I'm afraid we won't reach you. Today the City of SF's public works department does not allow utilities to build new underground infrastructure using trenchless construction. This precludes the deployment of fiber optic networks by new carriers like Sonic that do not already have an existing underground conduit (AT&T and Comcast.)

Tell your Supervisor, if this is important to you.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by chkyiu94112 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 pm
Hi Dane,

I was wondering if you can shed some light on my situation. I am on the 200 block of Cayuga Avenue between Tingley St and Gorham St in San Francisco. 2 months ago, i was checking whether fiber was going to be rolled out in my neighborhood and noticed the "Pre-order Fiber now". It mentioned that fiber will be available in Oct 2018. Fast forward 2 months, and it seems that that message is gone. Do you know what happened? Or when fiber will be rolled out in my neighborhood?

Thanks!
1909 posts Page 184 of 191