Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 174 of 191
by phnfong » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 am
Hi Dane:
I live at the 2600 block of 25th Avenue in the Parkside. You responded to me in the past that an overloaded telephone pole located on the east side of 2585 25th Avenue, Pole #4075, is preventing fiber from reaching my block. I spoke recently to Lee Vaughn of PG & E and he is looking into the situation. Mr. Vaughn also told me that he is asking someone from PG & E to contact you to obtain the technical data of the overloaded pole. I am just wandering whether you have heard from them.
Thank you and my neighbors and I can't wait to be Sonic fiber customers.
by danm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:43 am
My best guess is that California could have enough density to support a run, but the issue is that the street has powered MUNI cables so Sonic would probably have to wire up BOTH sides of the street. I took a quick tour down google maps and noticed that no utilities cross the poles N/S (with a few exceptions). There are poles on both sides of the street, and they service the nearest property. A pole on the north side of the street does not service a south side home. So, in your case, it will probably cost Sonic double the cost to wire up another similar street, despite density.

On the subject of Micro trenching, I think this would probably be a case where it can be applied vs overhead poles to reduce the amount of cabling needing to be ran on both sides of the street.

You're not fully at, "You're on east/west, get rekt". but still close... :lol:
Yeah, I thought about that too, but I clearly get my Comcast cable from the pole across the street. I can follow the cable from the pole, over the top of the MUNI cables, and into my building. Same with my neighbors.

The utility pole is about 4ft higher than the MUNI cables. :)

Maybe if I string a 24 strand fiber up and over to the pole for them, they can just turn the corner and patch me in! ;-)

~D
by dane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm
phnfong wrote:Hi Dane:
I live at the 2600 block of 25th Avenue in the Parkside. You responded to me in the past that an overloaded telephone pole located on the east side of 2585 25th Avenue, Pole #4075, is preventing fiber from reaching my block. I spoke recently to Lee Vaughn of PG & E and he is looking into the situation. Mr. Vaughn also told me that he is asking someone from PG & E to contact you to obtain the technical data of the overloaded pole. I am just wandering whether you have heard from them.
Thank you and my neighbors and I can't wait to be Sonic fiber customers.
PG&E did get in touch, but we were not able to assist them because we didn't attach to this pole and did not retain the survey information. Sorry we couldn't assist!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jdi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:28 pm
Saw the Sonic trucks out in front of my house on Sanchez St. in Noe Valley this week, putting fibre on the poles!

I've already pre-ordered, so just waiting for hookup. October seems so far away lol.

Looking forward to finally finally cancelling cable internet.
by phnfong » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 am
Hi Dane:
Thanks for your response. Does that mean we will never get fiber at the 2600 block of 25th Avenue in San Francisco?
by pockyken007 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm
Thanks for your response. Does that mean we will never get fiber at the 2600 block of 25th Avenue in San Francisco?

25th avenue has no poles and all the utilities are underground so until SF allows micro trenching or other means of delivery the short answer is no you are not getting fiber
by dane » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 pm
pockyken007 wrote:

25th avenue has no poles and all the utilities are underground so until SF allows micro trenching or other means of delivery the short answer is no you are not getting fiber
No, there are poles there, so it must be a full pole situation, where we've had to stop the network. Looks like our fiber ends mid-block on the 2500 block, to the North.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 pm
dane wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:

No, there are poles there, so it must be a full pole situation, where we've had to stop the network. Looks like our fiber ends mid-block on the 2500 block, to the North.

ugh for some reason major brain fart and I was thinking of the other side of the park where the 25th has no poles . I guess I need more coffee or I am getting old lol
by pockyken007 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2600+ ... 22.4818814

this looks pretty densely packed packed for a post would that be the issue Dane ?
by dane » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm
pockyken007 wrote:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2600+ ... 22.4818814

this looks pretty densely packed packed for a post would that be the issue Dane ?
Could be anything, a smaller pole along the lead to the South which is simply full, or a pole with some rot or infestation, or one that has been rubbed down to a smaller size by a vehicle, etc. My records here don't show which pole is the issue itself, and it's generally not the one right after where the network stops - because when you encounter an overloaded pole, you have to retreat back to the point where you can end the lead (steel strand that carries the fiber) with a down-guy. And a new down-guy can be challenging to site, because of driveways and trees and other obstructions, so sometimes you end up with a single "blown" pole which results in a pretty large gap in the network.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
1909 posts Page 174 of 191