Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 4 of 191
by digitalbitstream » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 pm
dane wrote:No, afraid not. We're still awaiting our hearing date.
If you're awaiting a hearing, it's time to be blogging, meeting with neighbors, and generally politik'in. This is a political city.
by xox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 pm
Oh man that's a good point!
by dane » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am
I believe they're interested in getting statements of support from residents via email. I will inquire about the process.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Arty50 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 am
Some friends live in the City and they've had Fusion for years. Just last week, one of them was saying he wished Google Fiber would just hurry up and expand. I then told him about your plan to roll our FTTH in the City. He had no idea, but was really stoked to hear it. It might be a good idea to send out an email or mailer to your existing customers and see if they can help with the political side of things. Maybe even send them a standard letter that they can send in to someone in the city government. With all the good PR Google Fiber has been getting lately, it might not be a bad idea to get in on the media action right now.
by dane » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:55 am
Arty50 wrote:Some friends live in the City and they've had Fusion for years. Just last week, one of them was saying he wished Google Fiber would just hurry up and expand. I then told him about your plan to roll our FTTH in the City. He had no idea, but was really stoked to hear it. It might be a good idea to send out an email or mailer to your existing customers and see if they can help with the political side of things. Maybe even send them a standard letter that they can send in to someone in the city government. With all the good PR Google Fiber has been getting lately, it might not be a bad idea to get in on the media action right now.
We do have some plans for customer involvement in the continued Fiber build, but we wanted to prove out the cost and product model before we make the commitments.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sbrudenell » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm
dane wrote:We do have some plans for customer involvement in the continued Fiber build, but we wanted to prove out the cost and product model before we make the commitments.
Customer involvement could help Sonic get the proof-of-concept rollout going. We're all jonesing for them light-beams, and we're not afraid to tell city officials so!

Maybe I just want an excuse to yell at somebody about how internet service could be better. :)
by Daniel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 am
dane wrote:
Arty50 wrote:Some friends live in the City and they've had Fusion for years. Just last week, one of them was saying he wished Google Fiber would just hurry up and expand. I then told him about your plan to roll our FTTH in the City. He had no idea, but was really stoked to hear it. It might be a good idea to send out an email or mailer to your existing customers and see if they can help with the political side of things. Maybe even send them a standard letter that they can send in to someone in the city government. With all the good PR Google Fiber has been getting lately, it might not be a bad idea to get in on the media action right now.
We do have some plans for customer involvement in the continued Fiber build, but we wanted to prove out the cost and product model before we make the commitments.
Oh, for goodness' sake, Dane, you're about to get lapped by the big boys. Hire a PR or lobbyist or other method to get the public on your side or Sonic is going to miss its window.
by xox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am
Daniel wrote: Oh, for goodness' sake, Dane, you're about to get lapped by the big boys. Hire a PR or lobbyist or other method to get the public on your side or Sonic is going to miss its window.
Source? I am not aware of anyone planning such a thing. Just trying to keep to the facts here.
by Tim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Is there a way to crowd source the upfront costs? I'd glady pay the ~$1k for my home to be wired.
by sirpedro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:10 pm
xox wrote:
Daniel wrote: Oh, for goodness' sake, Dane, you're about to get lapped by the big boys. Hire a PR or lobbyist or other method to get the public on your side or Sonic is going to miss its window.
Source? I am not aware of anyone planning such a thing. Just trying to keep to the facts here.
I think Monkey Brains has their own plan for fiber but it involves running fiber to the premise from the 200 Paul data center. They're hardly AT&T or Comcast though and even their current offering only covers about half of SF.
1909 posts Page 4 of 191