Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 188 of 191
by dane » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:19 pm
Thanks for the heads up Ralph - unfortunately we're not proactively informed when poles are reinforced or replaced, so this is good info. I'll pass it on to the plant team now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Peteman100 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:11 pm
@RaphL,

Can you share what steps you took to get them to replace the pole? I'm running into the same problem in Berkeley and want to do something! Would love your guidance. Thanks!
RaphL wrote:Message for Dane:

I saw your posting about overloaded utility poles on 18th Street in the Mission in San Francisco, and decided to work with the CPUC to get the poles replaced. It worked!

They are scheduled for replacement on Feb 26, and I hope this means that Sonic will soon be able to offer fiber on the block between Valencia and Guerrero Streets.

Wanted to give you a public heads up in case CPUC or PGE have not communicated with Sonic about these poles being imminently replaced. Would be great if we could get an update on the likely ETA for fiber now (or soon).

All the best,
RL
by danm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 pm
I worked with the CPUC through their website and got the utility pole serving my apartment building reinforced. I was surprised the work was done rather quickly, and I was excited to get moving with Sonic!

Unfortunately, @dane and crew have to basically re-submit the paperwork for the engineering team to come back and revisit the location... and it goes on the bottom of the stack. So, the utility pole was reinforced in like July 2018, and I was told it would be 6-12 months to see if Engineering was able to come back to the location and survey.

From what I understand, this is a limitation based on how San Francisco operates and their process - not Sonic's process.

I got super excited, but am still currently waiting on month 7 without an update. Hoping to hear something in the next 6 months. :)

~Dan

RaphL wrote:Message for Dane:

I saw your posting about overloaded utility poles on 18th Street in the Mission in San Francisco, and decided to work with the CPUC to get the poles replaced. It worked!

They are scheduled for replacement on Feb 26, and I hope this means that Sonic will soon be able to offer fiber on the block between Valencia and Guerrero Streets.

Wanted to give you a public heads up in case CPUC or PGE have not communicated with Sonic about these poles being imminently replaced. Would be great if we could get an update on the likely ETA for fiber now (or soon).

All the best,
RL
by RaphL » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm
I just called them directly and ended up speaking to a friendly engineer. I worked with her by going to the pole locations and sending her photos, then called her back every month or so to follow up.

From what she told me, there's no wait on the CPUC side for Sonic to put up fiber after the poles are installed, but since PGE owns the poles, Sonic still has to coordinate with them.
by mbeards » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 am
Are there any blockers (overloaded poles, for example) that prevent expansion onto Stanyan south of Frederick, or has service just not been built out there yet?

If there's something like a pole issue that my neighbors and I can work on getting fixed, we'd love to know about it!
by dane » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 pm
mbeards wrote:Are there any blockers (overloaded poles, for example) that prevent expansion onto Stanyan south of Frederick, or has service just not been built out there yet?

If there's something like a pole issue that my neighbors and I can work on getting fixed, we'd love to know about it!
Both. Not yet engineered, but also some potential pole issues. There is at least one bad pole that could create a hole, on the East side of Stanyan just South of Carl St. There's another one on the North side of Parnasus, about 40' East of Stanyan which could create coverage issues in the area.

But until and unless complete survey and engineering work is done in the area, we won't really know - it's possible those two poles have already been reinforced!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by omgpvd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 am
Hi there,

Is there any chance of getting residential units/apartment buildings wired up for fiber in the neighborhood around Duboce Park?(from Duboce Ave up to Page St on Steiner, for example)

If there are poles that need reinforcing/replacing, is there a way to find out where they are so that we can facilitate and put pressure on local utilities/the city to take care of it?
by Joek » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 pm
It's been a hot minutes since SF announced an attitude change on micro trenching in the city, which would allow for non-prohibitive cost to run fiber lines.

At the moment i have sonic on ATT hardware, two bonded pairs for 50mbps down. Serviceable but... A friend of mine out in Berkeley got sonic fiber and they're screaming at 300mbps.

So what's the progress, or even rumor mill, on allowing the tech capital of the usa to have a this-millennium internet backbone? It seems super crazy to me that this kind of stuff isn't fast tracked by regulators, is the blocker people complaining about gentrification or something?
by joekitch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm
submitted a post before realizing i can actually sign in, oops, that one will be in a moderator's inbox for a while probably

anyway, can i mention how great it is for a Provider to have actual people answer actual questions in a forum about their service? And for those answers not to be heavily sterilized by some PR entity? It's a level of genuine care for customers i didn't think existed in the internet industry anymore
by rustyhodge » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:37 am
Sonic Fiber is about 200 feet from my house, on the street adjacent to mine. My street (the last stub of Treat Ave) has aerial poles but is fed via underground utilities at the end of the street, so Sonic wasn't able to connect to it.

What I'm wondering: a couple of the houses across the street from me have rear entrances from a street served by sonic fiber (Norwich). Is there any way that Sonic could connect my street to the other street with permission to pass through one of the houses across the street?

Also, at the end of my street (a dead end), there are 2 lots/houses that front another street served by Sonic (Ripley St) as well as my street.

Sadly, because our street is fed by underground utilities, our only options are Comcast and ATT. Even Wave, which build out our street (back when they were RCN) never finished connecting to the rest of their network because of the underground construction required. So there is a serious need for an additional provider on my street.
1909 posts Page 188 of 191